7100 L2 Cache SIMM

Markintosh

New Tinkerer
Mar 31, 2023
USA
Hey gang,

I need help understanding what the L2 Cache chip actually is. It clearly uses the same form factor as the ROM, but how do I identify one for purchase? I'm not even sure the maximum size allowable either. I've seen 256K and 4MB. I also don't know how to distinguish one from a ROM SIMM.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Mark

Fizzbinn

Tinkerer
Nov 29, 2021
Charlottesville, VA
I have a resource article on Power Macintosh L2 Cache DIMMs that includes info on identifying those compatible with 61xx/71xx/81xx models:

Unfortunately it seems these are not exactly easy to find on sites like eBay. I think once they get separated from their machines they often end up mixed in with RAM or confused with ROM modules....

Reactions: Markintosh

Markintosh

New Tinkerer
Mar 31, 2023
USA
Thank you-that is a GREAT reference link. Ok, so finding one on eBay may take time. Does anyone make recreated versions of these?

JustG

New Tinkerer
Dec 12, 2021
California
I remember there being a thread over on the MLA talking about recreating them, I don't think it ever got anywhere past the discussion phase though. Too bad, I would be interested in several for my x100 machines.

Reactions: Fizzbinn

Fizzbinn

Tinkerer
Nov 29, 2021
Charlottesville, VA
Reactions: Markintosh

trag

Tinkerer
Oct 25, 2021
The crazy thing is that MacSales (OWC) had hundreds of the 256K modules and was selling them for about $.25 each if you bought a hundred or so.

All gone now. I don't know what they did with them. Probably scrapped. I kept thinking about buying a lot, but couldn't think of any use for SRAM chips of such small capacity. They had the type shown in the A03 reference above, I think. 256MB divided amongst 8 chips is not much capacity per chip.

I believe one of the primary obstacles to recreating caches is the difficulty of sources TAG RAM.