A Classic II/LC III laptop/book….

-SE40-

Tinkerer
Apr 30, 2022
The Netherlands
pin.it
@Trash80toG4 ……Explanation's likely not clear, in visual thinking/morning musing mode. :oops:……

Amusing, had to look that up.✅
Well, at this time I was only getting a feel about this setups footprint of a keyboard, and further components. Thickness of the keyboard has not crossed my mind too much yet.I like the clicky switchy keyboards, but that indeed spacious quickly.

The idea to have space for a LC2/3 board is not to bad as the CLASSIC II board needs room for extra components also. A little longer case maybe no problem.
This is still looking pretty compact alltogether.

No hurry.
Time will tell.

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
You mentioned a black version wtih different key setup, post pic?

LCIII board would be perfect, video outputs 640x480 VGA in the LC series, no? Board would be inverted so ports hit the backplane upside down along the top edge with room for your FDD or even a SCSI bridged slotloader optical from a laptop?

PicoPSU adapter for that series developed by the MLA gang puts power on a 12v wall wart akin to the Portable setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: -SE40-

-SE40-

Tinkerer
Apr 30, 2022
The Netherlands
pin.it
B298180C-7FC8-4FAF-8662-E41B74EFB4E1.jpeg

see attachments first post….

At this moment the boards size and positioning choice is open to what seems to fit best in this concept / proportion wise, access for easy servicing& assembly. CD or Fdd, …..floppy external, CD slot-in optional? Display 1024x768 upscaled with hopefully Picopi?
Enclosure material - epoxy handlayup, laminated in open mould.
At least this is what I am thinking about now.

🍀

• Love
Reactions: retr01

-SE40-

Tinkerer
Apr 30, 2022
The Netherlands
pin.it
Yeah, that keyboard would be nice looking indeed.
Hard to impossible to get here.

The picture suggest a hinge in front of the display…..unless you see it actually moving, it can also have a piece of doublesided tape and a coffeemug behind it 🙈

• Haha

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Maybe make sure it has palm rests and an ADB trackpad in place of a mouse? Please pick up an ADB mouse and dissect it to see what chips or circuitry is there. :sneaky: 🙈 😷👨‍⚕️🐭🐁🖱️🪤

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
@Trash80toG4, actually it can be smaller than the Portable. ;) (y)

Now, @-SE40-, you have some serious tinkering to do. :) Two versions of the Hartmut inspired tablet, book, or whatever in B/W and color that you can proudly present in both of your palms of hands. 😲 I see the headline of a new retro advertisement: "Portability Comes in Two Small Choices!" 🍀

Last edited:

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
@Trash80toG4, actually it can be smaller than the Portable. ;) (y)
Not by a much. :unsure:

Dana's PowerPortable is a modernistic interpretation of another classic frog design study, such could be the basis for this kind of build, but that's tangential.

If headed that way the LCD would be larger and symmetrical, but I like the asymmetry of the target design. Don't much care for it in the Amstrad with smallish display, but a widescreen rework with narrower KBD would be great.

Amstrad-Portable.jpg

Point to the pics: note the removable panel, In lieu of trackball, add a tombstone mouse hideaway. ;)

Mouse-House-frog-design.JPG

MouseHouse could be underneath LCD of your target Esslinger design?

edit: if you go with the LCIII board, MouseHouse can be angled down into the fan cutout to reduce vertical clearance requirements.

Last edited:
  • Haha

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Not by a much. :unsure:

Dana's PowerPortable is a modernistic interpretation of another classic frog design study, such could be the basis for this kind of build, but that's tangential.

It looks like a portable oxygen unit, most likely connected to:

main-qimg-1c738eec704eeb9d85d4a7afacaaa1ed-lq

New retro advertisement: "Breathe Easy. Carry your Mac Clone to Work." 😜😉

Last edited: