A Couple Japanese ADB Keyboards

rjkucia

Tinkerer
Dec 21, 2021
Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Hi all, I got two Japanese Apple Keyboard IIs from Buyee. They were sold as "junk" because they couldn't test them, but fortunately my bet paid off and they're both working! There are just a couple of things I wanted to ask about:
  • One of the keyboards has a few numpad keys that aren't working - 0, 3, and . don't respond. I can certainly live without these, but does anyone have a hunch on trying to see if this is fixable?
  • They other keyboard has some pretty gross discoloration. What's the easiest trick to work on this? Does the "just let it sit in the sun for a while" trick work with this type of plastic?
  • System 6 on my SE treats these keyboards mostly like standard US keyboards. Which is fine for me, I don't speak Japanese, but what System and/or third party software could I use to get the Japanese parts working?
Overall I'm very happy with Buyee/Yahoo Japan, and in awe of how nice these switches are. Since I don't need both of these, I'll eventually be looking to sell one of them - I'll make a future post on that, but if someone's interested now let me know!

Reactions: KingDingus