A great (and perhaps little known) feature of SheepShaver

Branchus

Tinker Different Public Relations Liaison 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
I wanted to be the first to post in this category, and I thought I would use it to mention a great feature of SheepShaver I recently discovered.

SheepShaver has the ability to create self-contained virtual machines. So you can place the application, the ROM and disk image all into a single .sheepvm package, which allows you to do two awesome things:

1. You can create multiple configurations (i.e. one VM for System 7.5, one for 8.0, one for 8.6 etc.) then just double click the relevant VM to launch into that OS. The only limitations is that you can't run two VMs at the same time.
  2. You can create a single, easily transportable package that you can share with friends (who are perhaps struggling to set up their own SheepShaver installation).

If you weren't aware of it, you can read about the feature here:

Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 12.00.30 pm.png

fred1212

Tinkerer
Jul 27, 2022
Hi Bruce Do you have any clues on how to reduce the screen area used by sheepshaver or basilisk. I'm setting up a pi and ipad lcd to use in a classic case. I can get raspberian os to a suitable screen size on the display, ie about 9" diagonal, by using overscan on the config.txt file but when I start either sheep or Bas it defaults to the full screen even though I've launched it from pios terminal. Full screen is too big for the case crt opening. Tried setting screen win/800/600 in sheep config file but makes no difference. Arer you aware of any other commands that can be used to make sheep run in a smaller window?Cheers

mac

New Tinkerer
Sep 30, 2022
Hi Fred,

Your Raspberry Pi Classic project sounds fascinating! It's too bad that the LCD display you are using is bigger than display opening on your case. I was going to point out that lower resolutions usually display perfectly in large resolution displays, but I know that the dimensions of these cases were more of the 4:3 ratio than our modern ratios like 16:9, so having these emulators go full-screen would ruin the experience.

Have you thought of looking for a higher-resolution LCD in the size you need instead? I did find an IPS display that might fit the bill on Amazon; it comes up when you search B07K444L58, and I'm sure you can find other similarly specced displays from your go-to outlets. I hope my post aids a bit and you get to post images of your completed Mac Classic project!