Adaptec AUA-4000B USB PCI Card in a Beige G3 on OS 9.2.1

reallyrandy

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
New Jersey
I bought an Adaptec AUA-4000B 4-Port USB PCI Expansion Card for my G3/266 running OS 9.2.1.
Apple System Profiler sees the card but I can't get a hockey puck USB mouse to work nor a USB thumb drive.
When I tried to install the driver from the disk it said I already had a driver and it didn't need to install anything.

"No installation was necessary. The files to be
installed are already on your disk, or are not
needed for your hardware setup.
If you are finished, click Quit to leave the
Installer. If you wish to perform additional
installations, click Continue."

Apple System Profiler says:
Card type: pci
Card name : multifunc-device
Card model: -1
Card ROM *: Not available
Card revision: Not available
Card vendor ID -1

Anyone done this before? (I probably have but it was 30 years ago)

20220125_172641.jpg

20220125_172735.jpg

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
Hmm - there's an errata here:

The USB2connect products will function properly using the following operating systems:

1) Mac OS 9.x (if installing on a Power Macintosh Beige G3 you will also need to install USB Adapter Support. This can be found at: Apple's Support web site.)

2) Mac OS X 10.1.x

3) Mac OS X 10.2.x

4) Mac OS X 10.3.x

5) Mac OS X 10.4.x

I have attached a zipped .smi.bin of the USB Adapter Support from Apple's archive. I think because the Beige G3 never had USB as standard, the usb support was never installed along with the OS. You had to add it as an afterthought.

Attachments

• USB_Card_Support_1.4.1.smi.bin.zip
    612.1 KB · Views: 107
Reactions: reallyrandy

karl

New Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
I just had a similar problem on my G3 AiO "Molar Mac" under 9.2.2. I'm using an Adaptec AUA-3020 DuoConnect. FireWire worked under 9.2.2 without any extra work, but not USB. Ultimately what worked was moving/deleting all the USB extensions installed by 9.2.2, and then installing the USB Card Support 1.4.1. Trying to install 1.4.1 on top of 9.2.2's default-install extensions led to the USB devices getting power and showing up under System Profiler but not actually working (USB flash drive didn't mount, USB mouse didn't move the cursor or click).

In case it helps anyone in the future, here's the troubleshooting process I went through before getting USB to work on 9.2.2:
  • Confirmed the hardware wasn't broken by installing OS X. Weirdly, I couldn't get it to boot off my 10.2 CD at first (got a kernel panic similar to https://discussions.apple.com/thread/633519?page=3 of 'unable to find driver for this platform: "AAPL, Gossamer".' After installing 10.1 Puma, Jaguar installed flawlessly (possibly because I replaced the PRAM battery before trying again?)
  • Fresh install of 9.0.4: no USB extensions were installed, USB and FireWire didn't work. As the Adaptec documentation instructed, installed the USB 1.4.1 drivers, and then USB worked, then installed the FireWire 2.3.3 drivers, but still no FireWire.
  • Tried installing 9.2.2 as a "clean install" on top of that 9.0.4 install, and FireWire started working but USB stopped working.
  • Did a clean install of 9.0.4 on top of that and installed USB 1.4.1 to get back where I was earlier with only USB working.
  • Upgraded the 9.0.4 install to 9.1 (so the extensions were preserved) and then both USB and FireWire worked!
  • Tried upgrading the 9.1 install to 9.2.2 and USB stopped working. After deleting all the USB extensions and reinstalling USB 1.4.1, both USB and FireWire work.