Adding the Mac Mini G4 to the collection 😁

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
So, I picked up a Mac Mini G4 for a good deal. It is a base 1.25 GHz model with 1 GB of DDR SDRAM, Pioneer DVD-R/CD-RW, and Samsung 128 GB SSD. The solid-state volume is divided into equal partitions for macOS 9.2.2 and OS X 10.4 Tiger. :D(y)

And yes, the Mac Mini G4 can boot macOS 9 natively with some help. :geek:

giphy.gif

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
Target disk mode. Most of the time, my mini g4 lives on the end of one of my floating book shelves. There's a 10.4.11 & 10.5.8 image on it that I used to TDM onto powerpc ibook/powerbooks as I'd get them. Those have really dried up over the past few years, so it just hangs out on my shelf mostly.

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
Indeed. I really like trayloader imacg3s for OS8.6-9.2.2. I have OS9 on a dual 1ghz QS w/ 22" ACD that really flies but something about using it on a 233mhz g3 through a curved CRT that feels incredibly nostalgic and appropriate. Anyhow to answer your initial question, yeah, I'd love to have a early intel cord2duo mini to complete a white ppc to Intel mini book end set for my boxed classic and OSX software. It would be completely pointless and very cool.

I forgot to ask - what app did you use to make your animation up top?

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
@Certificate of Excellence, I use the GKG formula (GIMP, Keynote, and Giphy). :) Fair warning: it takes work and not something you just magically create. 💪 ;)

Maybe we should have a graphics topic here. We have 3D printing topic, but no topic for graphics which is just as important because it is used as part of tinkering process to illustrate, create, or even document. Some may want to know more about using those graphical tools and talk about it.

I am not sure how some members on here perceive GIF animations and other graphical tools. Is it viewed as a child's play and nonsense? I beg to differ. It is a critical part of creative process. I enjoy manipulating and creating various graphics. I am honing my skill set and becoming better at it. It is exciting!

Reactions: Optix and tkn

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
@Certificate of Excellence, I use the GKG formula (GIMP, Keynote, and Giphy). :) Fair warning: it takes work and not something you just magically create. 💪 ;)

Maybe we should have a graphics topic here. We have 3D printing topic, but no topic for graphics which is just as important because it is used as part of tinkering process to illustrate, create, or even document. Some may want to know more about using those graphical tools and talk about it.

I am not sure how some members on here perceive GIF animations and other graphical tools. Is it viewed as a child's play and nonsense? I beg to differ. It is a critical part of creative process. I enjoy manipulating and creating various graphics. I am honing my skill set and becoming better at it. It is exciting!
Makes sense to me. I think it would be a fun read.