Adjusting user-agent strings to access Macintosh Garden 💐 🌐 💾 🌻

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Hi! :)

I considered using a web browser on my P476 and SE/30 to access the Macintosh Garden. I came across this discussion thread that discusses which older browsers will work to access that site. The iCab 2.99 can work, yet I prefer the Netscape Navigator 2.02 because of its lightweight and disabling javascript features.

So, by changing the user-agent string, the website will think a browser is acceptable. iCab 2.99 has that option.

I am wondering how it can be done with Netscape Navigator 2.02? 🤓

fogWraith

Antiques Dealer
Sep 2, 2021
I believe I fixed that years ago, while access is possible it doesn't look very pretty at all

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-09 at 11.34.38.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-09 at 11.34.38.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: retr01

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Functionality over eye candy. :)

So, the user-agent string isn't needed as the site is already set up to accept Netscape 2.x, correct?

fogWraith

Antiques Dealer
Sep 2, 2021
Functionality over eye candy. :)

So, the user-agent string isn't needed as the site is already set up to accept Netscape 2.x, correct?
That should be correct, though if you run into a 403 error with a vintage browser, do let me know ;)

Reactions: retr01

François

Tinkerer
Aug 9, 2022
France
Talking about vintage browsers, I tried Internet Explorer and Netscape Communicator on Macintosh Garden from my Power Mac 6400 running MacOS 9.1, both browsers are the versions installed with the system from an install CD, and they behave quite differently: Netscape doesn’t render the garden well (as shown in this thread), but IE (version 4.5 I believe?) does render it (nearly?) perfectly. What is odd then is that the download speeds on IE are absolutely abysmal, but with Netscape they’re really great! (I have a 10baseT comm slot card)

fogWraith

Antiques Dealer
Sep 2, 2021
Talking about vintage browsers, I tried Internet Explorer and Netscape Communicator on Macintosh Garden from my Power Mac 6400 running MacOS 9.1, both browsers are the versions installed with the system from an install CD, and they behave quite differently: Netscape doesn’t render the garden well (as shown in this thread), but IE (version 4.5 I believe?) does render it (nearly?) perfectly. What is odd then is that the download speeds on IE are absolutely abysmal, but with Netscape they’re really great! (I have a 10baseT comm slot card)
I reckon the issue is CSS when it comes to the aged Netscape browser, and Internet Explorer comes with a few quirks as well... as you say. If you start a download and click on say, the desktop to deactivate the IE window ... see if that boosts the download speed.