Adventures in 3D Printing with Wood PLA

BPearce

New Tinkerer
May 9, 2022
I manage a small Apple Authorized Service Provider, and as such, we have customers coming and going and signing pieces of paper. For some time, I've had it in mind to have something interesting and attractive to put pens in at the front counter -- I'd been thinking of the Classic Mac form, and with trial and error I assembled a complete object from the component parts used to create my Tiny Mac that could be printed as a single piece.

I've also had it in mind to try printing with Hatchbox Wood PLA, and once I felt reasonably comfortable with it, I thought this might be an interesting project.

Wood PLA contains a certain amount of wood fiber (for Hatchbox, about 40%), and the idea is that once you sand the printed piece, you end up with a surface that's very much like wood. And you do -- sort of -- though it's still less absorbant than real wood, and that makes applying finishes more difficult (particularly if you are inexperienced and mostly making it up as you go along). I had a somewhat lighter tone in mind for the color -- but I found it necessary to apply a heavy coat of stain to get any color. I was able to dull the color a bit with tinted polyurethane, though if I do this again, I'll probably dilute the stain. (I had encouraging results with dark brown stain on a test block, though I felt that would be too dark a color for this.)

(I think I might try printing another as a planter for a small cactus or succulent.)

Attachments

• IMG_1081.jpeg
    IMG_1081.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1079.jpeg
    IMG_1079.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 69

YMK

Active Tinkerer
Nov 8, 2021
Nice work! Wood fiber is the only PLA type I print with anymore.

It smells nice and has just the right amount of adhesion to a glass bed.

With normal PLA, I end up pulling chunks of glass off with the print.

I've had good results with Priline and 3D BEST Q brands on Amazon and 0.7mm nozzles. The typical 0.4mm are prone to clogging.

Paralel

Tinkerer
Dec 14, 2022
Wow, I honestly never would have guessed printing with PLA could ever contain wood fibers. That's wild. Such composites are common in construction, etc.. but their formulation, method of manufacture, are completely different.

I guess this proves that filament printing has certain advantages that one absolutely cannot replicate in a photoresin and other types of printing.

I think this might be the final push I need to get a filament printer. I appreciate the insight presented here.

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
I've also had it in mind to try printing with Hatchbox Wood PLA, and once I felt reasonably comfortable with it, I thought this might be an interesting project.
Wow - that looks nicer than I would expect. Would not have considered wood fiber filament before, but now...

Would/could you share the STL for that guy? It would look good next to my Tiny Mac! :)

BPearce

New Tinkerer
May 9, 2022
Wow - that looks nicer than I would expect. Would not have considered wood fiber filament before, but now...

Would/could you share the STL for that guy? It would look good next to my Tiny Mac! :)

Happy to do so! There are two versions of this:

Classic Mac V2 is the version I printed (seen below), with a void in the center, suitable for stuff.
Classic Mac No Cutout is a solid model.

I was able to dial in reasonably good settings for Hatchbox Wood PLA, and this printed mostly without issue. There were a few layers at about the level of the Floppy Drive slot that were underextruded, and that caused the part to break when I removed it from the build plate, but I was able to glue the two parts together and use wood filler to mend the small gap.

(The next time I tried to print with the Wood PLA, the outdoor temperature had dropped precipitously, the house was unusually cold, and the print failed after about a half hour -- that didn't cause the nozzle to clog just then, but it likely left debris that caused a clog a few days later. I'm waiting for the outdoor temperature to be more consistently warm before I try printing with Wood PLA again.)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-07 at 9.35.07 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-07 at 9.35.07 PM.png
    31 KB · Views: 33