Anyone here an expert about the Outbound Laptop? I have questions

This Does Not Compute

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
www.youtube.com
1. The keyboard can work either over infrared, or with an attached cable. The keyboard has two ports, an RJ11 (with matching RJ11 on the Outbound itself), and a mini-DIN. What's the pinout of the RJ11 cable? And what's the mini-DIN for?
2. You could get the Laptop with either an internal floppy or hard disk drive. The pin headers for both are present on the motherboard. Will the floppy header work with a normal Mac floppy drive or FloppyEmu?
3. Are there photos of the umbilical cable and host connector card anywhere? The closest I can find is from a scan of the installation manual, but the scan is very poor.
4. Anyone have a spare SCSI/floppy adapter for one of these they want to sell?

This Does Not Compute

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
www.youtube.com
Managed to find some answers. The RJ-11 keyboard cable is officially called the "infrared bypass cable", though I still haven't found a pinout. The mini-DIN jack is for an optional mouse that Outbound sold, which was *not* ADB, and could share the keyboard's IR connection to the main unit. The floppy drive is apparently based off of a standard PC drive, but with a custom pinout -- no doubt there was an interposer board involved.

Reactions: pfuentes69

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
I know there is an interposer board for the external floppy - at least there is some kind of board between the cable and the Citizen floppy drive. Whether that drive is "stock" or not, I don't know, but I suspect yes.

The mouse I have with mine looks like the generic Microsoft mouse of that time, but has a specific Outbound label on it, so who knows if it's been modified in any way.

Drake

TinkerDifferent Board Vice-President 2023
Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
I found this today while organising some donations, I'm curious if it actually is a ROM for an outbound kit?

The roms also seem to be socketed.
PXL_20221022_212254096.jpg

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I stumbled upon some great information with photographs about the Outbound Laptop. There were TWO models: the Outbound "Wallaby" Laptop and the Outbound Notebook. When Apple introduced and released the PowerBook in 1991, the company that produced those aftermarket laptops whittled away.

I found the Outbound Laptop System User's Guide in PDF too. :)

Last edited: