Apple //c Repairathon!

Adam

Tinkerer
Oct 22, 2021
I’ve been working on a bunch of Apple IIc’s this week. I now have 5/6 working again, and 4/6 have working floppy drives. The last one doesn’t work at all, but gave many parts to the others…
7AF98926-4C6E-46B5-A851-EF4B7A0460A6.jpeg

larbob

New Tinkerer
Nov 2, 2021
Awesome! What issues did you run into along the way? I'd love to land a IIc eventually. They're such cute machines!

Adam

Tinkerer
Oct 22, 2021
Missing/broken keys, lots of bad RAM, a couple dirty floppy drives, some missing/dead chips other than RAM, and one dead internal PSU. I’m outfitting these all with ROM 4X and replacement external PSU’s. I’ve also got a few of the nice little 9” green screens to go with them - those are not so fun to repair.

rdmark

Staff member
Oct 3, 2021
Great to see so much IIc love! I just got my first ever IIc delivered in the mail today, and I *think* it has bad RAM, although it's hard to say for sure due to ROM v255. Do you have advice on good replacement chips to procure?

Drake

TinkerDifferent Board Vice-President 2023
Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
Great to see so much IIc love! I just got my first ever IIc delivered in the mail today, and I *think* it has bad RAM, although it's hard to say for sure due to ROM v255. Do you have advice on good replacement chips to procure?
I can spare a couple, all tested good with @Stephen s ram liberator device :). There are disk programs as well to run diagnostic which pin point which bank etc

rdmark

Staff member
Oct 3, 2021
I can spare a couple, all tested good with @Stephen s ram liberator device :). There are disk programs as well to run diagnostic which pin point which bank etc
I just ordered a batch of dodgy chips from China, but if you have certified good ones to spare I'd happily take you up on that offer! Let me shoot you a private message.

Yesterday a quick googling led to MECC Computer Inspector as a diagnostics program that can help with RAM troubleshooting. However this is what the splash screen looks like when trying to boot it. What are other good options, just in case there's a program small enough to fit in the good memory?

Attachments

• IMG_4112.jpg
    IMG_4112.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 68