Apple Performa Plus Display: Power switch repair.

This is my first post. Also my first repair, really.

I bought a non-working Performa 400 and monitor combo at a used tech store. The monitor powers on only when you hold the button in. According to the internet, the failing latch is a common fate for these switches.

I opened it up, discharged the CRT, and carefully unplugged things from stuff until I could get all the way to the switch. Not the easiest task, but If I can do it....

I tested the switch to confirm what I already knew.

The part, Preh ME5A TV3, seems to be getting increasingly rare, but I found one new old stock at https://retro8bitshop.com which is in the Netherlands.

When it arrived more than a month later (not complaining) I desoldered the old one, and soldered in the new one.

IMG_5139.JPG

Now she is back in service!

IMG_5144.JPG

Thanks for looking!

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
I had the same issue tracked down a commodore one, I had it shipped from Australia. I could only find the switch type where wires go through so I cut the posts off the old switch and soldered the new switch to the old posts, because I know the solder would not hold over time with the pushing on and off I left the power switch on so when I plug in the monitor it just turns on. In case you are interested the link to the site I bought these from is here.

Reactions: BeigeBoxSC