As I was saying...re-launching for a "new" old computer

Webecedarian

New Tinkerer
May 10, 2023
Is this the right sub-forum? I'm not quite sure.

It was back last year when I'd been trying to figure out what I should ask for when getting a replacement vintage computer. I appreciated your replies here, and but I was overtaken by disasters in my life, with a succession of deaths of family and friends. So everything was shelved, and I'm only now trying to pick up the pieces.

So, as a non-techie, just to make sure I have this right, I want to double-check. I'm hoping to get a vintage computer, with both USB ports and a 3.5 drive, hoping to get it set up with vintage WP5.1, Corel, Word, and Excell.

Piecing together all the input, my impression is that I can get any computer (I'll have to see if the Dell Optiplex 745 and 780 offered to me last year are still available), but the crucial element is the Windows. This is not intended for internet use, so I could theoretically use 7 or 8, but on the off-chance I might want to hook it up, I should choose Windows 10, 32-bit. (I now have Windows 98, and Corel 11 in my current computer on its last legs). My local computer repair place says they can find a new WP5.1 to install. Presumably I can then load my files in one by one, hoping to avoid any glitchiness in the current incarnation.

So, I have that correct? Is there anything wrong or dumb I should be warned about?

Reactions: JDW