AST Research Mac86 DOS Compatibility Card Surprise

Hurry

Tinkerer
Oct 28, 2021
Summer is over and I'm back to tinkering. I finally achieved a local reputation as "the guy who will give you money for the old old beige junk you find in your house" and an SE FDHD walked into my kitchen a few weeks ago.

To my delight it contains a PDS expansion AST Mac86 DOS Compatibility card. I think this is my first unexpected bonus goodie find.

The internet is pretty thin on information about this card beyond identifying what it is and what it is for... I don't even see them on eBay. I can only assume they were of limited use, but so far I can't find anything substantial about them.

Anyone here have any recollection/experience with these? Any tips on where to start if I wanted to test it out and see what it can do?

Attachments

• IMG_7101.JPG
    IMG_7101.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 48

mg.man

Tinkerer
Oct 20, 2021
Ardley, UK
Wow... neat! That (37 pin?) connector will be for a 5 1/4" floppy. Probably the same drive Apple made for the NuBUS card that allowed you to read/write "IBM" and I believe CP/M formatted floppies. There is some driver s/w around for the slightly more common AST NuBUS DOS cards, but NO idea if that'd work with your card.

Hurry

Tinkerer
Oct 28, 2021
Wow... neat! That (37 pin?) connector will be for a 5 1/4" floppy. Probably the same drive Apple made for the NuBUS card that allowed you to read/write "IBM" and I believe CP/M formatted floppies. There is some driver s/w around for the slightly more common AST NuBUS DOS cards, but NO idea if that'd work with your card.

It is a 37-pin connector. And that I don't have - an external floppy to connect to this. I was wondering if the board required its DOS input via the floppy or if running a suitable DOS app from something like a BlueSCSI would suffice. I am curious if the Mac286 drivers will work with this, as I can't find any strictly Mac86 drivers online.

I suspect, given my time and resources, I'll end up auctioning or trading this away to someone who has the ability to push it around and possibly document it.

Hurry

Tinkerer
Oct 28, 2021
And it is also for sale by someone on eBay:

Oh cool - I searched high and low and couldn't find anything - I think possibly the seller's use of the term "compression" card might be why this didn't come up in my searches for current / sold listings.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Oh cool - I searched high and low and couldn't find anything - I think possibly the seller's use of the term "compression" card might be why this didn't come up in my searches for current / sold listings.

Yep. The seller may have mistaken the card for a video compression card.