ATTO UL3D / UL4D SCSI Pains

FlicTheBunny

New Tinkerer
Dec 18, 2022
UK
(I posted this a couple other places, so apologies if you've seen this elsewhere, and I got some info that may or may not be useful, see end of post)

Hi,

I have a number if New World G3/4 PowerMacs and I am trying to get hold of a SCSI card to use some late 80-pin U320 drives with tgat works in OS 9 and OS X.

I have had success with OS X 10.4 and 10.5 on these drives with a ATTO UL4D so I am pretty sure my cabling, termination and sacraficial rites are all correct. The drives are lashed up using 80-pun to 68-pin+Molex adapters. Again, they worked flawlessly in a G4 PowerMac QS booting and using Mac OS X.

I have a UL3D card but I can't get a lot of sense out of it. I initially tried it in a Rev. 2 Blue & White G3 with a (yes, I know) 1GHz G4 upgrade in it but couldn't get a lick of sense out of the drives. No boot and seemed to sit scanning busses for boot drives for a very long time with no success. The UL4D didn't seem to behave a lot better so I dismissed it as a test candidate.

I put the same 2 drives and the UL3D it in a G4 Gigabit Ethernet model and it was still unhappy, flashing "where am I supposed to boot from Folder/? and it seems to take an age to decide there's no drive. I eventually booted the system from the MacOS9Lives 9.2.2 Install image on a FireWire SSD and the card and drives were not recognised. As the UL3D card was from an unknown source, I decided to flash the firmware with the OS 9 flash utility. Although it already had 1.66 firmware I forced an overwrite usin the 1.66U updater.

This produced some level of success in that 9.2.2 now tried to mount the drives. Only one of themmounts, but the other drive with 10.5 Leopard on won't, but I suspect it has no OS 9 drivers because Leopard doesn't care about that nasty old Classic OS.

The drive with 10.4.11 and 9.2.2 on is recognised but still won't boot.

As I can boot from MacOS9Lives via FW, I decided to attach a different drive (same model, different cspacity) and start fresh. A restore of MacOS9Lives 9.2.2 went just dandy but that isn't bootable either. More concerning is the FW 9.2.2 boot freezes and the new drive just headbangs constantly. Could be a bad drive I guess but I ran out of energy.

I guess the takeaway TLDR; question is are UL3Ds usually this painful to work with? Of so what alternative do I have to work with OS X and OS 9 at the same time?

I also found a stray post somewhere tgat said Version 1.01 of the UL4D firmware worked with OS 9 (or both?) but I've never been able to find it, does anyone have it?

UPDATE

I got a response from a macrumours.com member who has an archive of the UL3D/UL4D Drivers & Documentation CD, which is great, unfortunately they didn't archive it in a Resource Fork friendly archive so the OS 9 versions are likely nuked, including the 1.01U updater I was looking for for the UL4D (I suspect the firmware bundles were in the Resource fork but I don't know for sure). If anyone wants to dig through the OS 9 apps and confirm if there's a Firmware bundle in them or not I'll attach the file.

Attachments

• ORIGINAL_CD.zip
    14.1 MB · Views: 62

ivanshpak

New Tinkerer
Dec 19, 2022
Hello! Ask this guy for an ISO disk image or Toast

I am apparently one of those who work closely on ATTO SCSI and I have UL3D and UL4D in use, your files under OS 9 are correct but destroyed due to incorrect archiving, they absolutely make it possible to work ultra 320 on OS9, this is written in all ATTO technical white papers and this holy grail

FlicTheBunny

New Tinkerer
Dec 18, 2022
UK
Unfortunately, the guy has long since lost the CD ROM and this is all he has.

It's very good to know the White Papers detail it is possible. That's extremely encouraging. I just need to find the OS 9 updater.

ivanshpak

New Tinkerer
Dec 19, 2022
Unfortunately, the guy has long since lost the CD ROM and this is all he has.

It's very good to know the White Papers detail it is possible. That's extremely encouraging. I just need to find the OS 9 updater.
In your archive there is an executable file for OS9

I also have a firmware file for the ConfigTool utility for OS X, but even versions 3.16 and 3.19 cannot use this file, in theory there is an even older version of the config tool for OS X 10.0, this is what you need to find

Either the executable file is not damaged

ivanshpak

New Tinkerer
Dec 19, 2022
In fact, I found now the old versions of the ExpressPCI Configuration Tool and it does not allow flashing with the old firmware file.
We still need an executable file (Flasher) for OS9, there were two revisions He was on the ATTO ExpressPro Tools CD for about 2000-2003 years

ivanshpak

New Tinkerer
Dec 19, 2022
We need files from

Mac OS 9 Version 1.01 - (File Size 640KB) This is a release of the ExpressPCI UL4D/UL4S firmware that can be flashed from a MAC. Installing and executing this updater will flash your UL4D/UL4S host adapter with firmware version 1.01.​

FlicTheBunny

New Tinkerer
Dec 18, 2022
UK
We need files from

Mac OS 9 Version 1.01 - (File Size 640KB) This is a release of the ExpressPCI UL4D/UL4S firmware that can be flashed from a MAC. Installing and executing this updater will flash your UL4D/UL4S host adapter with firmware version 1.01.​

Yeah unfortunately that’s the same point I started out at. Needing the flash files and they aren’t on archive.org. Grrrr.

ivanshpak

New Tinkerer
Dec 19, 2022
Yes, I also found these links a very long time ago, to files for OS9, but they are not there, you need to look for the original ATTO ExpressPro Tools CD for about 2000-2003 years