Backlit Mechanical Keyboard for the Apple IIc Computers

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
1644937680971.png

We are back again to bring you another exciting project! Many of you have been asking for us to create something for the Apple IIc and we heard you loud and clear. As such, we are pleased to introduce a mechanical ALPS type keyboard for the Apple IIc with optional backlighting in clear, black, and gray.

This Kickstarter will not only offer amazing keyboards, but give us the feedback we need to determine interest in the Apple IIc. If this project meets the single stretch goal we will open a Kickstarter to produce custom cases for the Apple IIc in clear or black to match your new keyboards.

For this project we partnered with renowned electronics guru Joe Strosnider of Joe's Computer Museum (JCM-1) and Apple IIc expert Javier Rivera of Retr0brite fame. Together we have brought you something truly special.

I just backed as my //c Keyboard is trash! Hope they meet their goal as the //c is one of my favorite Apple II versions.

Thanks @MacEffects & @jcm-1

Last edited:

jcm-1

Tinkerer
The prototype was the coolest project I've worked on so far, up there with my universal Apple II keyboard Encoder. We had a nice details meeting last night and I can't wait to get working on the final version. It's gonna be awesome!

(Interesting side note: that picture on the OP is working prototype #0 - installed in my own Apple IIc. If you need proof it works- there you go!)

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
Looks like it's fully funded! Still a way to go to get to that stretch goal, but I'm pretty happy I'll be getting a new keyboard to make my //c usable once again!

JustG

New Tinkerer
Dec 12, 2021
California
I'm also a backer. Kicking myself for not getting in on the Apple II Kickstarters when they were active. As with everyone else, I hope the stretch goal is met otherwise the clear keys on my brand spankin' new keyboard will look a little out of place!

• Haha
Reactions: jcm-1

svenvendetta

Tinkerer
Nov 3, 2021
Boston, MA
I unfortunately missed the kickstarter window but would love to buy one of these to replace Hairpin switch keyboard on my IIc which is straight up terrible! Are these going to be available for purchase on the MacEffects site after backers are all set?

Reactions: wottle

jcm-1

Tinkerer
I unfortunately missed the kickstarter window but would love to buy one of these to replace Hairpin switch keyboard on my IIc which is straight up terrible! Are these going to be available for purchase on the MacEffects site after backers are all set?
Direct from MacEffects:

24 keyboards of each variation will be offered. They won’t be for sale until a couple weeks after all backers receive their keyboard. China is on nation week so they are closed. Estimated 3-4 months until everything is sent and done.

Reactions: svenvendetta

Drake

TinkerDifferent Board Vice-President 2023
Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
Direct from MacEffects:

24 keyboards of each variation will be offered. They won’t be for sale until a couple weeks after all backers receive their keyboard. China is on nation week so they are closed. Estimated 3-4 months until everything is sent and done.
Rejoice, procrastinators!
I'd like one as well, and a case.... Or two.

CygnusTM

New Tinkerer
Mar 29, 2022
Installed mine today and found that it had a few dead keys. I messaged MacEffects on Kickstarter. Hopefully, I can get a replacement.