*Battery Gore Thread* NSFMacs

Drake

TinkerDifferent Board Vice-President 2023
Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
This thread is now an ongoing album of general motherboard mess! Feel free to share your worst!

**Since it is October and Halloween draws near I thought "what's scarier than spooky battery explosions, awful cap leakage and general shipping damage!?"**

So let's see your horror pics! Scariest photo gets a unique decal pack (repro Apple decals, sexy vintage computer babe bumper sticker, bluescsi decal and others!).

winner will be chosen at random by my 3 month old daughter! *Deadline Nov.1st*

*pictured here is my most recent IIci which unfortunately still isn't outputting audio/video*

Attachments

• 20210915_091912.jpg
    20210915_091912.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 105
Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Patrick and Stephen

RetroViator

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
retroviator.com
The caramel-looking substance flaked off fairly easily, but after removing the battery holder and soaking the board in various cleaners, it was still a horror show. The IC damage was so severe, I knew it was a goner. Of course, I still have it around (because I can't get rid of anything).

IMG_1055.jpeg

P.S. Interestingly, it was not a Maxwell battery, but a Tadiran.

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Hopefully, you gentlemen don't try to up the scary game by licking the leaked battery juice, which is about the only thing I can conceive as being worse than what I've just subjected my eyes to in this frightful thread! 👻

Reactions: RetroViator

Drake

TinkerDifferent Board Vice-President 2023
Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
sketch1635782338333~2.png

Paging @Branchus
The baby has drawn your name as our lucky wiener err, Winner!
PM a mailing address and your decal pack is on the way!

Thanks to the other 6 entrants for their spooky explosions!

• Love
Reactions: retr01

Elemenoh

Active Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021
Bay Area
I'm late to the party, but here's my Lisa motherboard before restoration. :sick:
IMG_0719.jpeg

Fortunately the scary story ended up having a happy ending..
IMG_0515.jpeg

BFEXTU

Tinkerer
Jul 15, 2022
It used to be a IIsi...but has seen better days. I am the original owner, but didn't realize it had leaked, sadly.

Attachments

• 20220825_103425.jpg
    20220825_103425.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:

BFEXTU

Tinkerer
Jul 15, 2022
Yeah...it was very depressing. Pads and traces are gone, components rotted off the surface, possible unrecoverable damage to major ICs -- probably not worth the time it would take to repair it. Maybe a parts-only board. Also, my IIcx had problems, but they were localized to the battery area and much less severe -- but still problematic.

Also, a word to the wise -- DO NOT BUY any IIsi's from eBay that say "oh...I am not able to test it or it was working before, but no guarantees or returns" and that have no detailed pictures of the motherboard. Battery leakage was common in these models. So, any seller who won't post pictures of the motherboard, or says they haven't "tested it" is not being honest. All they have to do is remove 1 screw in the back, look and take some pictures.

Public Service Announcement:
DO NOT BUY ANY IIsi ON EBAY UNLESS THE SELLER INCLUDES FULL PICTURES OF THE INSIDE/MOTHERBOARD OR DECLARES IT AS NON-WORKING OR ACID-DAMAGED!

Last edited:
Reactions: retr01