*Battery Gore Thread* NSFMacs

Volvo242GT

Tinkerer
Feb 7, 2022
Currently Duvall, WA
Most of you have already seen this, over at the 68kMLA forums. One of the SE/30s from my September 2012 Conquest.

Tadiran that decided to Maxellify itself and blow its guts out. Yes, the holder was loose, as seen in the attached potatocam image below.

BatteryBomb.jpg

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
Unfortunately these are all old images that don't show the extent of the damage very well, but I have a couple.

1. Dell Latitude CS laptop from 1999. Damaged by a leaky 6-cell Varta battery (NiMH chemistry). Luckily not too far gone and it was still working at the time, although it can be finicky sometimes.
7plus (1571) - Copy.JPG

2. IBM PC/AT 5170, damaged by a 7.2V Lithium block battery from Tadiran. Damage was a lot worse than what you can see in the photos, mainly to the metal case, but the board *may* be savable.
7plus (1566) - Copy.JPG

7plus (1568) - Copy.JPG

• Angry
Reactions: Drake

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
Most of you have already seen this, over at the 68kMLA forums. One of the SE/30s from my September 2012 Conquest.

Tadiran that decided to Maxellify itself and blow its guts out. Yes, the holder was loose, as seen in the attached potatocam image below.

View attachment 9719
The forbidden salsa has been released! :D

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
Here's a better photo I found of the damage to the PC/AT post-cleanup. I still need to replace a couple chips and components before I can test it, but no obvious trace damage! Look at that case rust though!
IMG_3135.JPG

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me what "forbidden salsa" means. About the only thing that did for me was make me hungry for a taco. 🌮
Forbidden in the sense that it will burn all parts of you that come in contact with it. That is how I took that. Through that lense, the cap/battery barf destroy everything it comes in contact with.

and tacos are fantastic. I think we should eat tacos on at least a weekly basis As a nod to happiness … because tacos are awesome.

Reactions: retr01

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Forbidden in the sense that it will burn all parts of you that come in contact with it. That is how I took that. Through that lense, the cap/battery barf destroy everything it comes in contact with.

and tacos are fantastic. I think we should eat tacos on at least a weekly basis As a nod to happiness … because tacos are awesome.

And spice up @JDW's tacos with @Kai Robinson's "forbidden salsa!" 🌶️🥵:)

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
The reason I mentioned being hungry for tacos is because I live in Japan, which is a country where Mexican food is rather scarce. Compounding the problem is the fact I grew up in California, where 39% of the population is hispanic, and where a Mexican food place can be spotted around every corner.

MacKilRoy

Tinkerer
Dec 10, 2021
The reason I mentioned being hungry for tacos is because I live in Japan, which is a country where Mexican food is rather scarce. Compounding the problem is the fact I grew up in California, where 39% of the population is hispanic, and where a Mexican food place can be spotted around every corner.

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Thanks for the link! It's a bit out of the way, and I would either need to pay for parking or take the train to get there, but it's nice to know of that place should I ever been in the area.

More recently, I found that Meat Express does a great job, mainly because they have Mexicans on staff to keep it authentic, and they also deliver to my door. That's where COVID was a blessing. Prior to going online, they sold exclusively from food trucks, well outside our area. COVID forced their business online, and they started to advertise on FaceBook, which is how I learned of them.

But despite having a handful of options here in Japan, it's still a far cry from the choices I had back in California. That's hard to beat.

Sorry for going off-topic, but talking about Mexican food does take the edge off this otherwise depression thread.

Maybe if I tag @Kay K.M.Mods, he will be kind enough to post his recent battery bombed Mac, which he beautifully repaired! It's really quite amazing.

Kay K.M.Mods

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Tokyo
www.kerosmm.com
Thanks for the link! It's a bit out of the way, and I would either need to pay for parking or take the train to get there, but it's nice to know of that place should I ever been in the area.

More recently, I found that Meat Express does a great job, mainly because they have Mexicans on staff to keep it authentic, and they also deliver to my door. That's where COVID was a blessing. Prior to going online, they sold exclusively from food trucks, well outside our area. COVID forced their business online, and they started to advertise on FaceBook, which is how I learned of them.

But despite having a handful of options here in Japan, it's still a far cry from the choices I had back in California. That's hard to beat.

Sorry for going off-topic, but talking about Mexican food does take the edge off this otherwise depression thread.

Maybe if I tag @Kay K.M.Mods, he will be kind enough to post his recent battery bombed Mac, which he beautifully repaired! It's really quite amazing.
See the details here.

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
ooof @ johnsn

you can see which orientation the computers were sat.
IMG_1200.png

Lucky for me. this IIci was on the side near the battery. so the damage was .. kinda in one area...