Best table wine value you've found recently?

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
My wife loves to shop at Trader Jose's and this trip I tagged along. We spied a $10 value bottle of Portugese Vinho Verde. Full transparency - I love crisp but wet on the tongue, fruit forward but not sweet whites like Gewurtztraminer, Vinho Verde, sauvingnon Blanc, some roses etc. Anyhow, I picked up a bottle of this wine,

Espiral-Vinho-Verde-Pour.jpg

drank it with some apps on our balcony that evening sunset with the better half and promptly went back and bought another case. At a tenner per bottle, this stuff was a fantastic value and was delicious. This was the middle of September. I now have just one bottle left. Should have bought two cases as it would've made for a fantastic table wine for the upcoming holiday gatherings. :D

It was good while it lasted 🍾

Eat well my friends.

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
This got me thinking about reds. Again, full transparency - while I do enjoy a balanced and rich, wet on the tongue beaujolais, or cotes du Rhone (Boreaux region is great in general) I'm not really much of a red drinker. I leave that to my wife who loves reds and milk chocolates. I do however love to cook with red wine and my favorite red for that purpose is another Trader Jose gem - their house Cotes du Rhone. Originally, years ago, I was hunting around for a CDR that was under $10 per bottle for a specific use - Beef bourguignon. This is hands down one of my top three braised beef preparations BTW - so good. Anyhoo, this import bottle IIRC rung up a 7.00 at the time (IIRC its now 7.99).

TJ-CDR.jpg

This bottle is absolutely fantastic to cook with and is also per my wife, a legitimately good table wine as well. I have fed this stuff to many a friend. Anyhow, I always keep the wine closet stocked with a few bottles of this versatile red. I mean at that price, how can you not? It should be right there next to those ubiquitous staple kitchen sauces - ketchup, mustard, Mayo, Cotes du Rhone :D

Life is short. Drink well my friends.

Last edited:

pfuentes69

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Switzerland
That's definitely a question that depends totally on your country.

While I was living in Spain I could find easily very good wines in the sub-10 Eur price tag.
For example, if you have the opportunity to find this one, it worths of testing:
Screenshot 2021-11-08 at 16.03.42.png

But now that I live in Switzerland, and even if I live near the French border and I do shopping regularly there, I couldn't find yet any red at the supermarket that matches that quality unless I double my budget.

Attachments

• juan-gil-silver-label-12-meses.jpg
    juan-gil-silver-label-12-meses.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 49

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
Very nice. I will hunt one down. Speaking of Spanish wines, I do enjoy the spiciness of a good Tempranillo. Very good with some little snacky apps like a jamon serano charcuterie plate Bocadillos, bunuelos or fire blistered shishitos.

Mmmmm

Reactions: pfuentes69

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
DSC_1124.JPG

I don't usually drink wine at all. Despite spending 12 years living in France, I couldn't stand the stuff. Even now, I find it hard to drink, only on very special occasions and I have to be in the right mood.

However, on a spur of the moment, while I was about to start making Jordanian sumac and chilli lamb, I felt the urge to scoot through my local LIDL and pick up a few last minute bits and pieces, for the side dishes.

Next to the checkout was a pallet, with 6 bottle sized boxes of this, just their own brand Merlot. For £3.99 I thought it was worth a punt, and surprisingly, it was very nice, fruity and smooth, I had 3 glasses before my Mrs came home!

Surprising how little you can pay for a nice bottle of plonk...

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
Absolutely. I've had some real pricey bottles over the years and they were fantastic but I absolutely love running into a good ~$10 table wine. Plenty of low dollar vinegar out there but those truly quality bottles are a great find when one discovers them (often bottles crafted for a $15-20 ring but sold as a $9.99 sale item). Some folks drink to drink. I drink to eat. The marriage of 3-5% ABV fermented beverages and food really is great. Tastes great, good for digestion, loosens up the physiologic effects & mental edge of a strenuous work day/week. Yanno, takes the edge off. What's not to love. :cool:

Reactions: MindThreat