Better or Worse PATA to SATA Adapters? - TAM

JustG

New Tinkerer
Dec 12, 2021
California
I just picked up a Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh, check that one off the unicorn list! I'd like to drop a SSD into it as the original drive is pretty noisy and I'd rather not kill the one that came with the computer. Has anyone had any more or less luck with PATA to SATA adapter brands? Based on my 10 minutes of research some people have experienced issues with longer than normal start up times when using an adapted SSD. I know Action Retro did a series where he ran a PCI SATA controller but I'd rather not use the fat back and run a bunch of cables. I'm willing to sacrifice speed for tidiness.

Is there an adapter plate that will mount the SATA drive in the location of the old drive? From what I understand the mounting pattern is different on new drives.

François

Tinkerer
Aug 9, 2022
France
Or use a CompactFlash Card, with a passive adapter. CF cards are natively IDE drives, so better compatibility and I think enough performance for the relatively low end computer that is the TAM.

François

Tinkerer
Aug 9, 2022
France
It’s the physical installation of whatever replacement drive you’re using that is somewhat bothersome, because nothing will line up with the mounting points on the drive bracket of the TAM.

Double-sided tape to the rescue! It’s the easiest way to do it, I think.

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
@JustG, yes, there is an adapter you can use that is IDE and accepts an SSD.

As long as the IDE HDD in the TAM is 2.5" (9.5mm) high with a 44-pin connector (or by using an adapter), you can get this:

Ableconn IIDE-MSAT mSATA SSD to 2.5-Inch IDE Adapter Converter with Aluminum Frame Bracket

This works with vintage PowerBooks, G4 Cube, etc.

@jajan547 may have some insight to share.
Actually I agree with what you say but remember the drive is a smaller 2.5 style sized drive.

François

Tinkerer
Aug 9, 2022
France
I had my TAM lock up while reading from the CD-ROM drive when using a similar SD adapter. A CF card (+ passive adapter) being natively IDE is the more compatible solution.

Reactions: retr01

JustG

New Tinkerer
Dec 12, 2021
California
I'm dumb, I completely forgot about dosdude1's IDE SD project. I'd be willing to bet that'd be about the best option. Small and knowing him, very compatible.

Reactions: retr01

JustG

New Tinkerer
Dec 12, 2021
California
That's the one. Need to send him an e-mail and see if he has any left for sale or if he's working on another batch.