BlueBird-SD-Module: a boutique build for BlueSCSI in Blackbirds?

Trash80toG4

Active Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
One last shot, putting this stuff away in the project box today.

BlueBird-SD-Module-03.JPG

Not pretty:
__ vertical full size USB is a no go, TinyUSB flat on board should align well with puckered lips
__ forgot to mark out the LED activity light on right
__ everything's out of whack, but centering openings up shouldn't be hard to visualize.
__ size of lips can be smaller given push-click-eject SD access
__ may give in to temptation and make a pretty overlay for one last pic?

Dunno, whatcha think gang?

Reactions: retr01

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Nice concept :)

I don't recall that the PBs have HDD activity light, as I think Apple wanted to avoid that part of the design. Instead, a third-party CDEV was available to show the HDD activity on the menu bar on the screen.

Trash80toG4

Active Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Constantly flashing LED draws a tiny bit of power, a paramount consideration in PowerBook design. SCSI/SD replacement for spinner nails that box shut.

Activity LED on BlueBird-SD-Module cover plate's a silly affection, but what the heck? Tinker Different! 🤪

Reactions: retr01

Fizzbinn

Tinkerer
Nov 29, 2021
Charlottesville, VA
Though I'm still confused about scsi performance on the 5x0 series. A 180 is faster in my testing. https://github.com/androda/F4_BlueSCSI/wiki/System-Compatibility-and-Performance#powerbooks

I’ve been wondering about that too. From the Apple Hardware Dev notes both the 180 and 540 use the same “Combo” SCSI chip but my reading is the 180 runs it at the same speed as the processor, 33MHz, where the 500 series has a split bus system running at different speeds mediated by the “Pratt” controller chip. The CPU ‘040 bus runs at processor speed (25 or 33MHz) with the RAM and ROM. While everything else runs on a 16MHz ‘030 I/O bus, including the Combo chip…

Last edited:

Trash80toG4

Active Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
How wide is the combo chip interface to the processor bus? The unified bus of the 180 is 32bit, no? Bridged 68030 I/O bus in the 5x0 is narrower at only 16bit on top of its being downclocked.

-SE40-

Tinkerer
Apr 30, 2022
The Netherlands
pin.it
Yep, that's the type to be avoided due to its slip-out SD card feature. Mentioned reasons for avoidance upthread…..

it has a decent locking system to the card:
-See video below-