Bluetooth using D-Link Dongle in OS9?

caver01

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Has anyone messed around with the D-Link DBT-120 USB Bluetooth dongle on a G4 using OS9? I was going to try to pair a wireless mouse on my eMac which is a dual-boot (triple boot) OS9 and OSX. I have the D-Link dongle which seems to work fine in OSX (Sorbet Leopard in my case) as without it, my 1GHz model does not have Bluetooth, but now I can see the little logo in the upper-right of the menu bar!

I should be able to pair a mouse with this setup as-is, but before I did, I thought I would boot into OS9 (native not classic mode). I realized there is no control panel or extension that I can find, so after some digging around it was getting late last night so I shutdown and went to sleep. This morning, I am reading that I might need to pair my mouse FIRST in OSX before it will work in OS9. I am also reading that Apple released some kind of Bluetooth Firmware Updater (1.02?) that supposedly flashes the D-Link dongle so it flips into HID mode with the paired devices (mouse and kbd supported) so that it operates pre-boot in Open Firmware. That's a neat trick, but I cannot find the Apple Updater for this and if I am honest, I might have done it already, years ago when I first picked up the D-link. I have had this thing in a drawer for years (decades I guess at this point).

I will do more testing tonight but I figured I'd throw a question out there, and if nothing else, document what I find in next steps for whomever else comes looking down the road.

TO DO:
1. Check system profiler for version numbers on the D-Link to see if there is anything to be learned there.
2. Try pairing devices in OSX to verify BT is working there
3. Restart in OS9 after pairing to see if it "just works".
4. If NO on #3, keep looking for a firmware updater or read comments on this thread from you fine folks!

Thanks!

caver01

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
According to that French page, my D-Link, which is HW revision B3, is already running the appropriate firmware to be detected in HID Proxy mode as a mouse and a keyboard. So, I paired a keyboard and it worked fine in OSX.

Rebooted and was unable to use the ALT key to select startup disk. That was not a good sign, as it means my paired keyboard was not communicating to Open Firmware--HID Proxy not enabled? So, I used another USB keyboard to press ALT, selected OS9, and unplugged it hoping for HID Proxy mode in OS9.

The keyboard is not working in OS9, but if I open System Profiler I definitely see the device on USB 0 bus with a Keyboard and a Mouse device. So, to me, that is looking a lot like proxy mode is running, but it's not communicating to my paired keyboard. Perhaps my keyboard is too new for OS9? I am paring it with a little Apple aluminum--the one with the rounded top edge that holds two AA batteries. I would not have thought it could matter, bat maybe proxy mode only works with specific keyboards?

I am awaiting a delivery of a wireless Mighty Mouse, so maybe I will have better luck with that.

Thoughts?

V.Yakob

New Tinkerer
Sep 6, 2023
I tried using this USB adapter, the Apple Wireless Keyboard (Aluminum) (A1314) worked fine on the PM9600. But the boot menu is not called by the Opt button. As I understand it, it's normal behavior.

But Magic Mouse 2 and another mouse from Logitec does not work in OS9, although in OS X 10.4 on QS worked perfectly.

caver01

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Tried the Mighty Mouse Wireless. Works in OSX. Does not work in OF and does not work in OS9.

So, I figured it was time to see if flashing the firmware helps. Downloaded the Apple BT Firmware Updater 1.2. Loaded this in Tiger. Ran it. Said I was already up to date. No updates. So, I OPTION-CLICKED the UPDATE button. This seemed to force it to run, but after a while it was IDLE status again, so I don’t know if it did anything at all. It definitely disconnected my mouse while it did something—or nothing. At some point I decided nothing was happening (30-40 minutes) and so I pulled the adapter, re-plugged, and then it found my mouse again. Tried restarting. Nope. Not working in OF. Not working in OS9.