Bootable DOS Tools CD - Review/update tools and functionality list

Stinkerton18

Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
Hey fellow PC users! A long time ago, two decades at this point, I took the time to put together a bootable CD with the world's most convoluted series of nested DOS config.sys/autoexec.bat menus to get access to some commonly used utilities, speed up loading an OEM install of Win95/98/ME/2000/XP, etc.

Background​

Comprised of software available circa 2000-2003 era, this CD was used a lot at the computer repair shop I worked at to do:
  • Wipe all partitions on a drive and setup a single FAT32 partition
  • Wipe all, split into 2 FAT32 partitions (intended to keep Win98SE systems with 30GB max partitions)
  • Wipe all, split into 3 FAT32 partitions (intended to keep Win98SE systems with 30GB max partitions)
  • Wipe partitions and install (from install files copied locally to the drive):
    • Windows XP
      • Reboots PC, prompts you to insert your CD to copy files prior to running setup
    • Windows 2000
      • Reboots PC, prompts you to insert your CD to copy files prior to running setup
    • Windows ME
      • OEM version cabs already on CD
    • Windows 98SE
    • Windows 95 OSR2 (95 "C", "with USB support"), this option has a FAT16 partition setup instead
  • Same as above but do not wipe partitions/create a single FAT32 partition first
  • Run Norton Ghost 2003 to image drives to USB/firewire/local storage
  • Run Norton Ghost Walker 2003 to image over a network (long since broken because obvious DOS networking challenges)
  • Run Partition Magic 8.0 to adjust partition sizes
  • Run Power Quest Drive Image 5.0
  • Run Maxtor's Drive Setup software (to add/remove LBA48 translation support)
  • Run Maxtor's hard drive test/certification software
  • Run Western Digital's hard drive test/certification software
  • Run Seagate's hard drive test/certification software
  • Run EZ-BIOS to remove it (old utility to allow computers with old BIOSes to use larger hard drives, pre-dates XT-IDE)
  • Run Norton Antivirus 2002 to scan/remove viruses
  • Run a DOS based NTFS reader to attempt data recovery
  • Run MOBOCOP (older utility to display BIOS and chipset info and try and match against a database of motherboard manufacturers for make/model info)
  • Boot to a command prompt with generic IDE CDROM drivers loaded

The CD itself also had a pretty large collection of DOS utilities (from the "Windows 98" version of DOS, essentially 7.0) like:
  • Gdisk (Norton Ghost disk utility allowing for command line partition creation/deletion with super fast formatting)
  • ATTRIB
  • xcopy
  • XMSDSK (used a few times but allows for on-demand creation of a RAM disk)
  • SYS.com to make drives bootable with DOS
  • Backpack/LPT CDROM drivers
  • Crude USB/USB 2 support for CDROM/hard drives in DOS
  • Crude FireWire support for CDROMs/hard drives in DOS
  • fdisk
  • format
  • chkdsk/scandisk
  • Norton Disk Doctor
  • restart.com (pretty self explanatory I hope)
  • edit
  • debug
  • mscdex
  • himem.sys

All of this was crammed in just over 1/2 of a standard 650MB CD. There was even a folder with all of the boot files to put onto a standard 1.44MB floppy in case you had a system that wouldn't boot CDs directly. It's been a CD I've used quite a bit for many years.

Proposed Updates:
It's needing some updates and cleanup work. What I'm wanting to do, at a bare minimum, is:​

• Get rid of the WD/Seagate/Maxtor tools.
    • They're so out of date and barely support any first gen SATA drives. There's no warranty period left on any of the drives they do support.
  • Get rid of the Go Back utilities
    • I highly doubt anyone here even knows what Go Back is/was let alone used this piece of masochistic shite spat out from the very depths of a nihalist's wet dream
  • Add in SCSI card support (pulling in what I did with the Blue/PiSCSI DOS images)
  • Replace mscdex with shsucdx.com (smaller memory footprint)
  • If possible, replace Ghost/Ghost Walker/Drive Image with CloneZilla
  • If possible, replace Partiiton Magic with parted/gparted/open source utility for partition management

TL;DR/"Why are you posting this?"​

The thing about homegrown tools/utilities is they might benefit someone else, especially since there's more and more people tinkering around the Win98+ era "retro" PCs. I figured respinning my old disk to a safer/sharable format to make tasks like partitioning/installing a Pre-Vista version of Windows much easier is probably a good thing, especially for folks who weren't exactly 'steeped in the cesspool of DOS'.

So, aside from triming out/removing software/tools that are probably not a good idea to "redistribute", I'm wanting to know what other fellow PC'ers think would be a good to include. Sound off and let me know in the comments. Even if there's no suggestions or input, I'm still intending to post a share link here for folks to get a copy of the ISO if they so wish.

Stinkerton18

Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
That would be the trick for you to perform, to see if you can get it to chain load from your menu!
Ohh, I see how it goes. "Hey does anyone have any suggestions for THING-X?" "Oh sure, do this!! *snicker snicker snicker*"

:p

I am kinda curious what tools are out there though, and it's not like I won't need to investigate boot chain loading anyways.

Stinkerton18

Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
Moved this thread as I figured it was better suited to the Lab->Software section.

I'm also debating now if "ADHD scope creep" might be worthwhile here. A lot of the features are pretty self-contained or easily chainable, like IDE/SCSI booting to a command prompt with CDROM drivers loaded. It would be fairly easy to make it modular and have a "choose your own adventure" style menu.