Borrow Apple Adjustable Keyboard Wrist Rests

PotatoFi

Active Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021
My Apple Adjustable Keyboard is missing the wrist rests. They look like they would be very easy to 3D print, but I don't have the parts to reference. Would anyone be willing to lend theirs to me for modeling? I would post the source files for anyone to modify and print, and I would probably also sell printed parts on my Etsy shop for people who don't have printers.

I'm located in North America.

Reactions: wottle

Fizzbinn

Tinkerer
Nov 29, 2021
Charlottesville, VA
Sure, I’ve got the wrist rests for my Apple Adjustable Keyboard (which I bought and used in the late 90s in college, …I recall thinking it was soooo cool) and can lend them to you no problem. I don’t regularly use mine much these days since it takes up so much desk space but it definitely is a neat item. 😀 I’m sure folks would appreciate it if you were able to build a model!

Curious, how do you go about building a 3D model with lots of seemingly complex curves…?

Last edited:

PotatoFi

Active Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021
Sweet, I'll send you a DM! There is no urgency on this.

Curious, how do you go about building a 3D model with lots of seemingly complex curves…?

Great question. I probably can't get them perfect, but here's what I'll do:

1. Take photos on the X, Y, and Z axis
2. Import the photos to Fusion 360
3. Scale the photos to a scale inside the application
4. Draw 2D sketches of the X, Y and Z profiles
5. Use a combination of hulls, differences, and extrusions to recreate the part in 3D

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Or try one of those apps? :)

PotatoFi

Active Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021
Possible, but so far, I've found that scanning apps are better at creating likenesses than actual copies, especially on parts that don't have a lot of geometry. I'm a lot more confident about hand-modeling the parts.

Trash80toG4

Active Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Glad to see someone jumped on this so I don't have to get involved. I have two full sets and a penchant for procrastination.

The silly things are anything but ergonomic. They look great, but function is worse even than the PowerBook case equivalent. They're functionally useless, which is why I think most folks don't bother using them?

Are you doing the NumPad wrist rest as well? Once you have the baseline replacements modeled, morphing them into a higher, functionally ergonomic configuration would be great. ;)

Reactions: retr01

lobust

Tinkerer
Nov 14, 2021
Possible, but so far, I've found that scanning apps are better at creating likenesses than actual copies, especially on parts that don't have a lot of geometry. I'm a lot more confident about hand-modeling the parts.

Unfortunately it's in storage right now as I am challenged for floor space in the new workshop, but I do have a full DCC CMM that is excellent for reverse engineering geometry like this more precisely than 3D scanning.

Not directly useful since it will be next year some time before I get a new building up and can get it back in action, but perhaps worth mentioning it as it's relevant to this conversation.

lobust

Tinkerer
Nov 14, 2021
Cool @lobust! I look forward to seeing your projects and cool stuff. :)
My day job is manufacturing engineering and CNC machining, so stuff like this mainly gets used for work, but I’ve done a fair amount of reverse engineering with it in the past. Never any retro computer stuff, although I’ve daydreamed about it now and again! Building new injection molds for bezels and stuff - maybe when I retire I’ll have time for such endeavours!

• Love

Trash80toG4

Active Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Nice day job, hoping to play with 3D modeling in about 22 months when I retire. Had a notion for scanning contour gauge settings made in steps using my cross slide milling vise. So of course that led to thoughts of a digital version. just searched and found this:

That project uses flat plate feelers, I was thinking wire type for 3D applications. Is open source software available for turning that type of data into a model?

Iterative reading process would be time consuming, but inexpensive equipment and time fit my notions. Using three offset gauges for top/bottom/front edge data on each step feels right to me.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
My day job is manufacturing engineering and CNC machining, so stuff like this mainly gets used for work, but I’ve done a fair amount of reverse engineering with it in the past. Never any retro computer stuff, although I’ve daydreamed about it now and again! Building new injection molds for bezels and stuff - maybe when I retire I’ll have time for such endeavours!

Hartmut and others' designs for the Macs and other Apple products back in the day? And beyond that? :)