Carelessness With Data When Computers Are Tossed-An Experience From The Early 2000s

2112st

Tinkerer
Oct 8, 2023
Northeastern New Jersey, USA
In the early 2000s I had an interesting experience. Riding my bike in New York City, heading back to the train station, I saw a Power PC 7200/120 that had been tossed out. By some freaking miracle, I managed to carry it under one arm while I rode my bike back to the train station. That was NOT easy.

Anyway, I got it home and it booted right up. While looking around on it, I found something horrifying-

Spread sheets. And on them were the names of over a dozen people-how much they made (several had salaries of over $100k a year), their addresses, social security numbers...I was gobsmacked.

I thought-if I had been an identity thief, this would have been like winning the freaking lottery. I just wanted a computer to play with.

It is infuriating that people were this careless with such sensitive data. They were damned lucky that an honest person found their machine.

It was an eye opener on how some folks handle other people's sensitive information.

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
In the early 2000s I had an interesting experience. Riding my bike in New York City, heading back to the train station, I saw a Power PC 7200/120 that had been tossed out. By some freaking miracle, I managed to carry it under one arm while I rode my bike back to the train station. That was NOT easy.

Anyway, I got it home and it booted right up. While looking around on it, I found something horrifying-

Spread sheets. And on them were the names of over a dozen people-how much they made (several had salaries of over $100k a year), their addresses, social security numbers...I was gobsmacked.

I thought-if I had been an identity thief, this would have been like winning the freaking lottery. I just wanted a computer to play with.

It is infuriating that people were this careless with such sensitive data. They were damned lucky that an honest person found their machine.

It was an eye opener on how some folks handle other people's sensitive information.
Ahh this just reminded me that AT&T just owned up to a breach that impacted 70+ million current & past customers private data.

• Wow
Reactions: 2112st

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
The worst one I've seen was my PowerBook 170. It had been used in a therapist's office and had gobs and gobs of patient records on it. Not session notes, but phone numbers, names, addresses, money owed, etc of clients. That got deleted quick!

In the eBay seller's defense, the hard drive was dead when I got the thing, but I was able to repair it and the drive still works today.

Douglas

New Tinkerer
Feb 10, 2023
Glad it ended up in honest hands like yours. Definitely an eye-opener on the importance of protecting personal data, especially in this digital age.