Classic 2 logic board repair

Redsward

New Tinkerer
Mar 5, 2023
So I have 3 classic 2 LB’s . 1 works perfectly after a recap and bath . The second one does not chime and the screen stays black . It’s been recapped , the traces look great , little or no cap leakage I can see. Where should I start looking to get it going ?
Thanks in advance !

Redsward

New Tinkerer
Mar 5, 2023
Thanks will do! My good logic board went the same way last night so now I am looking suspiciously at the Analog board.

lfletche

New Tinkerer
Apr 30, 2022
If you're analog board has not been recapped and is still original, then it most certainly will need to be.

The good thing about the classic analog board, though is you can check the voltages easily using a multimeter on the hard drive power connector. So as a starting point I would make sure you've got 5 and 12 volts there.

Redsward

New Tinkerer
Mar 5, 2023
The board is recapped , the opto's replaced (thanks to @pocketscience for that tip !) also a couple of diodes . It booted fine a dozen or so times (30 year old hard drive came back to , that was a surprise!) but now black screen and no chime but the fan runs . Going to run some voltage tests tonight .

Redsward

New Tinkerer
Mar 5, 2023
Annnd we are back. The Mac decided to boot again last night with my one good board . So now I think the black screen no chime may not be about the logic board , may be the analog board . Voltages are good ... so tonight I will try the other board again . I am a bit suspicious of a blue scsi I built and is not working as I screwed up the orientation of the blue pill and had to remove it , but it got powered up a few times so may not be happy .

Redsward

New Tinkerer
Mar 5, 2023
Well the Mac Classic 2 is currently booting reliably (still off the internal drive for now ) using my number 1 board. I reflashed the blue scsi but the system refuses to boot from it even if I externally power it so not sure what is going on with that .
So I inspected my 2nd Mac Classic 2 logic board ( I have 3 ) and it is in perfect condition absolutely no trace damage I can see , I have recapped it . It was booting to a gray screen so I was told it may be the rom , tonight I reseated them and used the ram from my good board just in case ,I got a chime and I made it to the welcome screen . But before I could celebrate the screen went black . Now I just get a black screen every time I turn it on with that board. Any advice greatly appreciated !
IMG_3107.jpeg
IMG_3106.jpeg
IMG_3105.jpeg
IMG_3103.jpeg
IMG_3107.jpegIMG_3106.jpegIMG_3105.jpegIMG_3103.jpeg