Color Classic Troubles

catboyjack

New Tinkerer
Apr 5, 2022
California
Hiya folks,

I recently made a very luck acquisition of a Color Classic in mint shape with the only downside being some leaky caps on the motherboard.

After recapping the board I made the unfortunate discovery that there was more problems to tackle than just that. As I don't have much experience with the CC or really know much about how it works I thought I'd ask for some help :D. (I previously took a look at the analog board and the caps appears to be fine, but I can post pictures if needed)

Symptoms:
-On startup the machine chimes but shows a very messed up screen (from what I'm told it's vertical sync)
-The machine chimes (thank god)
-The speaker makes this terrible static sound, but it's not super loud in the attached video.

If anyone at all could lend a hand in properly diagnosing and help me in figuring out how to reapir it I would greatly appreciate it. :)

Attachments

• IMG_4747.mov
    9.8 MB · Views: 0

imactheknife

New Tinkerer
Jun 28, 2022
Sounds like maybe the pads / recapping may be possible issue. Have you recapped before? Did machine work properly before recap?

kaoshonen

New Tinkerer
Jul 4, 2022
Kansas, USA
blog.auchterlonie.net
I know the analog boards also need recapped on the CC. You may remove the anolog board and complete a recap on that too. You may reach out to Thomas @ Amiga of Rochester. He may be able to help you diagnose and troubleshoot it.

catboyjack

New Tinkerer
Apr 5, 2022
California
Sounds like maybe the pads / recapping may be possible issue. Have you recapped before? Did machine work properly before recap?
I did recap my Mac IIsi not too long ago and it worked fine, since i made my post I fixed the vertical sync issue by reflowing the analog board.

As far as the CC goes it was completely dead before I recapped the motherboard, but it wouldn't be a terrible idea to double check my work.

Reactions: kaoshonen