Comm Slot II 10/100 Ethernet Cards

Fizzbinn

Tinkerer
Nov 29, 2021
Charlottesville, VA
Oh I'd have no idea
icon_mrgreen.gif

FTP depends on which side you're doing it from. If you do it from OS X or Windows, the easiest is probably FileZilla Server if the built-in server is not an option. It only recently came out for OS X because starting in 10.13 High Sierra the built-in FTP server was removed and the ftp client in the Terminal was removed. (yikes on the last one...i'd have some serious reservations about that one.)

If you do it from Mac OS side, I prefer and recommend NetPresenz -- simple, super easy to set up, literally less than 5 minutes, but if you're looking for beyond that it's not going to do as well as say, Rumpus.

Modern AFP doesn't have to be complicated, as all the systems that ran AFP capped out a 1000BASE-T but mostly 100BASE-T. In any case, for Linux or inside a Linux VM, netatalk is the best option at the moment. Otherwise, I'd just use a OS 9/Jaguar/Tiger box.

If you need more information beyond that, hollar.

EDIT: Now that I'm thinking about this, I did a quick refresh on LEM's page on CommSlot ethernet / modem cards. Why not just make it compatible with CommSlot I and II? While making it compatible with 100BASE-T networks is viable, I checked ebay quickly (oh hey there's two iPrint LTs for 68$ for the pair...not bad if you can source your own power brick, which is pretty easy tbh) and there's one CommSlot I card up there. LEM does say the 100BASE-T CSII cards had compatiblity issues, but maybe they didn't have the same ethernet chip as yours does.

CommSlot I and II compatible modems are making use of the common modem port serial lines they share on the connector. For Ethernet they are very different data buses on the connector, CommSlot I has an 030 ”PDS” bus while CommSlot II has a PCI bus. Seems like that would be pretty hard to have a device support both, but we can dream!

Reactions: eric

Androda

TinkerDifferent Board Secretary 2023
Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
Wondering if my snappable board suggestion might have merit?
It's not something I've really ever done before. I've used "mouse bites" as they are called to make boards that can be snapped apart. But not for modular implementations like this, where you can just break part of the board off and things are still ok. Something to think about though.

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Cool, cannot imagine it wouldn't be simple enough to implement "slots" above and below the traces along with slight notches at top and bottom. Using a hacksaw would make for a clean, straight cut. I "hacked" many a prototype board some thirty-five years ago (half a lifetime! :oops: ) along "slots" and end notches in just the copper fill without benefit of laser cutting such things in the FRP. Plenty of intact FRP would remain for solid, unified card implementation.

AI playtime upcoming when I get home in a couple of days! My .TXTual descriptions be sorely lacking. ;)

Last edited:

Androda

TinkerDifferent Board Secretary 2023
Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
Did a little more testing with the 7300's built in "plain 10" Ethernet port.

~170kB per second in 9.1 using iCab, sometimes spiking to 200kB per second. This at least helps to show that it's not 100% the driver's fault. Downloading from the internet in general seems to be very slow and constrained by "something".

Next round of testing will be beige g3's internal "plain 10" port against the PCI Ethernet card that my CS II card is based from.