Components. They're everywhere!

Alf Torp

Tinkerer
And so I have to find a reasonable way to store them. Resistors, diodes, ICs... all sorts of crap that you might need and that's handy to have at...well, at hand. So I built this:
1.jpeg

10 drawers that each can contain anywhere from 60 to 300 of these little buggers, depending on size:

2.jpeg

So all in all I can max this out to about 3000 tiny containers, down to a mere 600 if I only want to store BIG stuff.

6.jpeg

These containers come in various sizes and are locked together. They seemed to fit my idea of "neat" so I've started collecting them. The green ones are the ones I will use mostly, and what I designed the drawers for. I have also started buying smaller ones, half the width of the green ones, for surface mount resistors etc.

The cabinet and drawer fronts and sides I made from 12mm birch plywood, bottoms are 4mm plywood. The edge bands are strips sawn from a birch plank I had, which also was big enough to make the handles from. It is made to fit in IKEAs Ivar 50 cm depth shelves. IKEA Ivar is the basis of all my workspace shelves. Extremely versatile, and relatively cost effective.

Attachments

• 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    244.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    254 KB · Views: 39
  • 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Alf Torp

Tinkerer
And so I have to find a reasonable way to store them. Resistors, diodes, ICs... all sorts of crap that you might need and that's handy to have at...well, at hand. So I built this:
View attachment 4888

10 drawers that each can contain anywhere from 60 to 300 of these little buggers, depending on size:

View attachment 4889

So all in all I can max this out to about 3000 tiny containers, down to a mere 600 if I only want to store BIG stuff.

View attachment 4893

These containers come in various sizes and are locked together. They seemed to fit my idea of "neat" so I've started collecting them. The green ones are the ones I will use mostly, and what I designed the drawers for. I have also started buying smaller ones, half the width of the green ones, for surface mount resistors etc.

The cabinet and drawer fronts and sides I made from 12mm birch plywood, bottoms are 4mm plywood. The edge bands are strips sawn from a birch plank I had, which also was big enough to make the handles from. It is made to fit in IKEAs Ivar 50m depth shelves. IKEA Ivar is the basis of all my workspace shelves. Extremely versatile, and relatively cost effective.

Excuse the mess on the floor, we're redoing the upstairs hall way and needed a place to temporarily store stuff.