Connect ADC monitor to HDMI source

fehervaria

Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
North Germany
I love the compact Macs from the middle 80s, but my other love is the PowerMac Mirrored Drive Doors with Apple Cinema Displays.
These displays have ADC connectors used to connect to specific graphic cards with ADC connectors. The Apple (and other) solutions to connect these monitors to DVI connectors is to use an ADC-to-DVI adapter with the power supply and USB connectors.
But today we do not have DVI based graphic cards and these Apple ADC-to-DVI adapters are quiet expensive.
I thought if I would like to use my beloved ADC based Cinema Display monitors (I own 5 of them) then I have to build an HDMI to ADC adapter.
And here we go, today I can show you two variants, one is the boxed version - like any adapters, the other is the extension card shaped adapter. I use external power source (max 28V/5A).
ADC2HDMI_box_Top.png
ADC2HDMI_Top.png

IMG_5529.jpeg
IMG_5532.jpeg

IMG_5530.jpeg
IMG_5531.jpeg

IMG_5534.jpeg

IMG_5535.jpeg

fehervaria

Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
North Germany
Looks great! Were you able to source the connectors or did you have to scavenge from dead machines?
No, all components are brand new. I did not need to reuse old components.

I am located in Germany in Europe, and the transport (to US or outside from EU) could cause a lot of time and probably not very cheap.
I do some resource and figure out how to do. I have no problem to create "kits" for DIY, also no problem to build few "ready to use out of the box" and post them to anybody who need...

I'll write back soon.

fehervaria

Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
North Germany
Long time but finally this week all of the components has arrived.
So guys, let me know who need what.
Please PM me about your details.

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
Just curious where you found the ADC connectors, and what you're using for the 28v power source? :)

fehervaria

Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
North Germany
Just curious where you found the ADC connectors, and what you're using for the 28v power source? :)
:cool:
Surplus Sales of Nebraska search for (CPC) DV3R035N11

I use an PSU for LED lines 120W / 24V / 5A. It is possible to tune, and the max Voltage is 27,5 stable supply.
I set mine to 27V. I use my monitor more than a year, more than
s-l1600-3.jpg
8h a day Mo-Fr (this is my work computer's monitor)

The power connection design goal was to able to use the adapter with fanless, cheap(er) PSUs.
The Power Supply of the G4 PowerMac gives 28V to the ADC connector and these power (ampers too) need for the USB hub in the monitor.
I use the monitor with USB microfone (Marantz Pod Pack 1) and web cam connected to it (iMac 2009 iSight with pigtale USBed).

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
If you can make kits of the box version (all the parts, I'll assemble) I'm in for at least two.

Depending on cost, if you assemble as well, I might go that route :)

• Love
Reactions: fehervaria

averagejef

New Tinkerer
Dec 12, 2023
This excellent! how does one acquire one of your boards? I've been reviewing a couple of other builds, one with standard DVI connector and one that adds a VGA, yours seems much more efficient. been looking for a way to use my old cinema display that doesn't break the bank.

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
This excellent! how does one acquire one of your boards? I've been reviewing a couple of other builds, one with standard DVI connector and one that adds a VGA, yours seems much more efficient. been looking for a way to use my old cinema display that doesn't break the bank.
Me too, I’d love to support this initiative with a ADC/HDMI kit purchase -very useful adapter to have in one’s toolbox I think.

Reactions: fehervaria