Cracked flyback transformer wire

AndyDiags

Tinkerer
Dec 18, 2021
As you can see in the photo, the flyback wire on this Mac Plus analog board somehow snapped off.
I would like to confirm that it's ok to soldier this back on. Will that hold? Could the high voltage/high temperature generated by the component cause it to break again soon after? The transformer itself looks to be in great condition, so it would be a shame to discard it.

Screen Shot 2021-12-23 at 2.58.12 PM.png

Last edited:

Johnnya101

New Tinkerer
Dec 13, 2021
I don't know what that specific metal wire does exactly, but I would never attempt to use questionable flyback transformers. It cracked because of a fault most likely.

AndyDiags

Tinkerer
Dec 18, 2021
I just saw a working Mac SE/30 listed for sale and they had a picture of the inside. In that picture I noticed that the same metal wire was snapped! This made me wonder why that Mac is working with a wire broken.

I did a bit more investigation to see what the purpose of that wire is and where it goes. Turns out the wire holds the two iron cores together. So even if it's broken the flyback will work as long as it's holding them together. I found this video of someone trying to taking theirs apart.

Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 5.30.29 PM.png

Last edited: