Customizing the Apple Legacy Recovery CD for various Macs 🛠️ ⚙️ 💾 💿

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I obtained the new BlueSCSI v2 DB25 external SD drive from @Androda, so I could use it to install various operating systems, software, and other files on different Macs with the DB25 SCSI port.

I placed the following images on it:
  • Mac Apps
  • Mac Games
  • Legacy Recovery
The Apple Legacy Recovery CD from 1999 originally had System 7.6.1 installed by Apple. Various operating systems, utilities, and other software could be run on the older compact and modular Macs that do not normally boot to System 7.6.1. So, those images on the SD in the BlueSCSI v23 DB25 work fine on my P476. When I used my SE/30, a Sad Mac popped up after the Happy Mac. I realized that System 7.6.1 was incompatible during troubleshooting because my SE/30 used the original Apple 512K SE/30 ROM SIMM.

I resolved this by customizing the Legacy Recovery image with System 7.1 on the external BlueSCSI v2 DB25 so that my SE/30 could continue booting up System 7.5.5 from its internal BlueSCSI F4 with the BlueSCSI v2 DB25 connected to the SCSI port on the rear.

Here are the steps:
  1. Create a new Legacy Recovery image using @OneGeekArmy's world-famous Disk Jockey.
  2. If you have BlueSCSI, use the BlueSCSI option in Disk Jockey.
  3. With Basilik on your modern computer (or your preferred vintage Mac), install the system of your choice from the Apple Legacy Recovery CD image.
  4. Copy whatever OS, utilities, and other software you want from the Apple Legacy Recovery CD image to that new Legacy Recovery image.
  5. Pop in the SD in the external BlueSCSI (or whatever you have) and have fun!
I have noticed that System 7.0.1 or 7.1 will run on most 68k Macs. System 7.0.1 requires less memory and storage space. For the Power Macs, System 7.1.2 is the first version. System 7.5.5 is the icing on the cake. The antique compact Macs fare better with System 6.x, though.

NOTE: To use the Apple Legacy Recovery, System 7.0.1 is the minimum system required.

Last edited:

MacKilRoy

Tinkerer
Dec 10, 2021
Tip: Mac OS 7.5.5 is one of the best for cross compatibility from oldest to most PowerPC Macs (pre-G3). It runs from Macintosh Plus through the 9600 and everything inbetween.

Reactions: retr01

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Tip: Mac OS 7.5.5 is one of the best for cross compatibility from oldest to most PowerPC Macs (pre-G3). It runs from Macintosh Plus through the 9600 and everything inbetween.

Yes, with 4 or more megabytes of RAM for comfortable usage. System 7 requires a minimum of 2 MB of RAM,

Last edited:

Yoda

Tinkerer
Jan 22, 2023
..... Here are the steps:
  1. Create a new Legacy Recovery image using @OneGeekArmy's world-famous Disk Jockey.
  2. If you have BlueSCSI, use the BlueSCSI option in Disk Jockey.
  3. With Basilik on your modern computer (or your preferred vintage Mac), install the system of your choice from the Apple Legacy Recovery CD image.
  4. Copy whatever OS, utilities, and other software you want from the Apple Legacy Recovery CD image to that new Legacy Recovery image.
  5. Pop in the SD in the external BlueSCSI (or whatever you have) and have fun!............
I'm probably totally misunderstanding what you're suggesting, but while I can create a BlueSCSI .hda in Disk Jockey (excellent software!!) I can't see any way to then add or mount it in Basilisk.

Basilisk can mount the Legacy CD just fine of course, and I can create a 'bootable' .dsk for Basilisk to use, and then install everything I want in that for Basilisk itself, but no way for Basilisk to interact with the BlueSCSI .hda.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Basilisk can mount the Legacy CD just fine of course, and I can create a 'bootable' .dsk for Basilisk to use, and then install everything I want in that for Basilisk itself, but no way for Basilisk to interact with the BlueSCSI .hda.

It can. Just change the type by renaming the image file from .hda to .img and have it mounted. :)

After you are done, change it back to .hda before you put the SD card back in the BlueSCSI. At the second time and afterwards, Basilisk will mount .hda after that as I observed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yoda

Yoda

Tinkerer
Jan 22, 2023
It can. Just change the type by renaming the image file from .hda to .img and have it mounted. :)

After you are done, change it back to .hda before you put the SD card back in the BlueSCSI. At the second time and afterwards, Basilisk will mount .hda after that as I observed.
Oh WOW!

I didn't even think to try that, but you're right, just tried and it works a charm!

Thanks, that saves a great deal of laborious time!

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com

With all the 2020+ versions of PC Basilisk II, I don't even need to do the renaming of the extension, it loads hda as is!

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
With all the 2020+ versions of PC Basilisk II, I don't even need to do the renaming of the extension, it loads hda as is!

Hmmm.

I have the 30 November 2022 build of macOS Basilisk II, yet any images that are .hda are greyed out. So, I cannot add .hda at first in the GUI app for Basilisk II.

Hence, that was the workaround I did, as aforementioned.

Yoda

Tinkerer
Jan 22, 2023
Hmmm.

I have the 30 November 2022 build of macOS Basilisk II, yet any images that are .hda are greyed out. So, I cannot add .hda at first in the GUI app for Basilisk II.

Hence, that was the workaround I did, as aforementioned.
Admittedly on a Mac rather than PC, but that's my experience of .hda files in Basilisk II also. The workaround is perfect however.

I thought it odd that occasionally I saw comments about setting up .hda files for BlueSCSI use in Basilisk, when they never mounted for me!

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
Works on PC. The different ports are not the exact same apparently.

You guys get the good Disk Jockey, and applesauce software and dd and such, we get this at least!

• Haha

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Well, @Mu0n, @OneGeekArmy was very generous and made a Windows version of Disk Jockey. ;)

1684452636067.png

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
Well, @Mu0n, @OneGeekArmy was very generous and made a Windows version of Disk Jockey. ;)

View attachment 12350
I know I know! I don't means to disrespect @OneGeekArmy at all. There are differences between the ports and it makes sense as a dev to primarily code in one's daily driver platform, in his shoes I would of course do the same. I've enjoyed the PC port of Disk Jockey and used it to success already.

Reactions: OneGeekArmy

OneGeekArmy

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Belgium
diskjockey.onegeekarmy.eu
I know I know! I don't means to disrespect @OneGeekArmy at all. There are differences between the ports and it makes sense as a dev to primarily code in one's daily driver platform, in his shoes I would of course do the same. I've enjoyed the PC port of Disk Jockey and used it to success already.

You'll be glad to know that I've just given the Windows version some love.

You can now partition your disk images and create HFS and ProDOS volumes. You can also inject existing volume images or add a bootable System 6.0.8 or 7.1 partition.

It's not parity with the Mac version yet. In my priorities, I'd rather focus the Windows version feature set on things that make DJ unique (like the partitioner).

https://diskjockey.onegeekarmy.eu

• Love
Reactions: Patrick and Mu0n