Dedicated tinkering space (soldering and other)

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
70's Show? Got a link to his garage? Name's too generic, first and last, to be able to find anything easily.

Page break discontinuity correction:
Red Foreman's Garage?

Last edited:

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
@Trash80toG4 and @Certificate of Excellence - from "That 70's Show." I am digging up more.

1661569556866.png

1661569637739.png

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Don't bother, it's obviously not that kind of shop. It looks a damn sight more practical for auto and around the house kinda stuff to me. Seems to have three walls to work with and no particular interest in trinketry.

I have to laugh at the majority of shop tips-n-tricks I've seen over the years. Very few are new, original and interesting. But the older some tricks are, the better most of them have aged over time or they'd have been lost to same.

Gotta laugh at folks who spend as much of their energy detailing their shops as he seems to be wasting with that car. Neither is all that more useful for such efforts. Pretty doesn't get the work done, but some care taken to show pride in workmanship is laudable. Butt ugly has its place as well! 🤪

Reactions: retr01

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Yeah. It is uncommon to see a tidy, organized, and well-designed shop. Many people don't see the point and would rather have a nice car or house. The garage or shop is often unremarkable.

Reactions: skate323k137

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
Another one of my favorite TV/Movie garages is Clint Eastwoods garage in the Gran Torino. Very cool, pegboard garage. Subsequently both characters Red Forman and Walt Kowalski are retired Marines.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Another one of my favorite TV/Movie garages is Clint Eastwoods garage in the Gran Torino. Very cool, pegboard garage. Subsequently both characters Red Forman and Walt Kowalski are retired Marines.

Tony Stark's workshop comes to mind - a lot of robotic engineering stuff. :) Very different approach. It depends on what the tinkering is. I like tinkering with wood and computers. Now I am going into other tinkering adventures.

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Anyone with combination wrenches displayed in order by size on pegboard makes me scratch my head. That's what a triple-decker is for, organization as such in drawers. At the very least, keep that stuff in the likes of the red Craftsman four drawer chest I keep at hand.

Pre-Stressed-Shelf-Detail-0.JPG

Reactions: retr01

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
Don't bother, it's obviously not that kind of shop. It looks a damn sight more practical for auto and around the house kinda stuff to me. Seems to have three walls to work with and no particular interest in trinketry.

I have to laugh at the majority of shop tips-n-tricks I've seen over the years. Very few are new, original and interesting. But the older some tricks are, the better most of them have aged over time or they'd have been lost to same.

Gotta laugh at folks who spend as much of their energy detailing their shops as he seems to be wasting with that car. Neither is all that more useful for such efforts. Pretty doesn't get the work done, but some care taken to show pride in workmanship is laudable. Butt ugly has its place as well! 🤪

Imagine what car guys think about the time and effort we put into fixing up old electronics, restoring plastics on 30yo machines... Especially when they see some of our workspaces...

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
Imagine what car guys think about the time and effort we put into fixing up old electronics, restoring plastics on 30yo machines... Especially when they see some of our workspaces...
I can tell you that my wife finds what we do absolutely ridiculous lol. Now, me maintaining my daily drivers and her vdub, she sees pragmatic value there - time and money saved. Anyhow, I tinker with so many different things, I appreciate nice spaces to do work regardless of the discipline and as space in my garage is at a premium, I really like highly organized, clean & efficient examples of use of space like Walt's Gran Torino garage or Drakes space for that matter. I did not anticipate the funny tribalism but I did get a good chuckle from it. It did elevate "The Pot calling the kettle Black" to new heights :D Anyhow, my garage definitely looks more garden-grease monkey than retro-computing/electronics focused, however my bench is always pulling double duty.
08ABA9BC-BBFA-47F0-9170-61892243A401.jpeg

Anyhow, something to put this all in perspective is Tony Starks. He built Iron man v1.1 in a cave :geek:

I am looking forward to seeing update photos of Muons upgraded setup. I think it will look really clean & sharp with the ikea gear.

Last edited:
Reactions: wottle

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Anyhow, something to put this all in perspective is Tony Starks. He built Iron man v1.1 in a cave :geek:

Yup! :sneaky:(y)

He managed to escape from his terrorist captors. He developed a new heart, much more advanced than the lame pump-operated artificial heart of the 21st or 24th century. Stark even outperforms Jean-Luc Picard. Sadly, it is science fiction. Maybe someday. :D

giphy.gif
1661638155379.png

Last edited:

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
I can tell you that my wife finds what we do absolutely ridiculous lol. Now, me maintaining my daily drivers and her vdub, she sees pragmatic value there - time and money saved.
Can she or anyone here think of any hobby that's not ridiculous on the face of it to anyone who has no particular affinity for it.? I rest my case.

Anyhow, I tinker with so many different things, I appreciate nice spaces to do work regardless of the discipline and as space in my garage is at a premium, I really like highly organized, clean & efficient examples of use of space
I'm right there with you. I have project boxen of every sort and size. They come out whenever the fancy strikes and go back whenever I begin to knock the piles over on worktops or begin tripping over them on the floor . . . or the GRLF is coming to town.

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
Yup! :sneaky:(y)

He managed to escape from his terrorist captors. He developed a new heart, much more advanced than the lame pump-operated artificial heart of the 21st or 24th century. Stark even outperforms Jean-Luc Picard. Sadly, it is science fiction. Maybe someday. :D

You'd think the TNG folks could've gotten more creative with something like bioengineered nano robots that would repair/regenerate the heart tissues through a hypospray or some other fantastical awesomeness but no, we get some goofy mechanical heart for Sexiest Man of the Year 1992. Surprisingly archaic considering humanity invented a real mechanical heart 300 years earlier in the 1930s. Way to keep the bar low, starfleet :D

Last edited:

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
You'd think the TNG folks could've gotten more creative with something like bio-nano robots that would repair/regenerate the heart tissues through a hypospray or some other fantastical awesomeness
in Star Trek 4 Bones gives a women a pill who was on dialysis. Which cures her. I've wondered, did the pill he gave her grew her new kidneys ?? anyways. so they totally have the technology.. prolly....

Picard has a mechanical heart because it served the story. Not saying it was good or bad. or that it could've been done differently. But in the end. they did it that way to help tell the story in a specific way they wanted.

sorry if this is getting way way too off topic. i'm actually very interested in people's dedicated tinkering space. because i don't really have one. and kinda want to set something up.

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
in Star Trek 4 Bones gives a women a pill who was on dialysis. Which cures her. I've wondered, did the pill he gave her grew her new kidneys ?? anyways. so they totally have the technology.. prolly....

Picard has a mechanical heart because it served the story. Not saying it was good or bad. or that it could've been done differently. But in the end. they did it that way to help tell the story in a specific way they wanted.

sorry if this is getting way way too off topic. i'm actually very interested in people's dedicated tinkering space. because i don't really have one. and kinda want to set something up.
Voyage Home is one of my favs & Bones is a personal favorite of mine. Loved the cameo on TNG & the hospital scene is epic. Karl Urban reprised the role really well I think. I get it being built around an episode concept, just a ST fan being obnoxious is all. I agree on the work spaces we create. I love seeing how peoples spaces are built. Some are highly modular, some are pretty much permanent, some folks repurpose furniture (I tend to do this) while others will design a new space with clean fresh gear purchased perfectly for the space and then others commandeer the kitchen table n' call it a day. It is fun to see how we each build out unique spaces. Alf Torp for example has an epic radio room with custom wood shelves and all sorts of neat vintage radios and electronics - a righteous ham shack.

Reactions: Patrick

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
I made a few suggestions to the cabinetmaker whose shop was across the street from mine. He was amazed by the way the tweaks positively impacted his workflow, the time and effort saved in the doing of it.

I totally rearranged my friend's sign shop, moving assembly tables out of the dark to the big windows. His computer setup moved away from that horrid backlighting and next to the CNC engraving/router table room so he didn't need to walk back and forth or deal with the glare.

He had an architect come in to check the efficiency of the new layout and she could only come up with one change. One long table had been angled while the others were in neat parallel rows. I asked him about it when I visited afterward. The table she'd have him align symmetrically with the others had been angled to point straight at the freight elevator so sheet materials could be walked straight off and leaned directly against both sides, with lumber and metal tubing slid on top in between. It was angled again the next time I visited.

Moral of the story: symmetry is a bugaboo of small minds. Sometimes it 's a beautiful thing, but the straight and narrow path rarely leads to highest efficiency in a workshop. In shops as in kitchens, work triangles rule.

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
I finally received the last of my shipment today (after 3 weeks) and started clearing out my corner. Heavy Sony CRT is heavy.

Nvm the 2 compacts and lots of crap on my bench, this is not how I'll set it up at all. Just need to create chaos before I arrive at an ordered state.

Attachments

• PXL_20220910_195801367.jpg
    PXL_20220910_195801367.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
  • PXL_20220910_202242063.jpg
    PXL_20220910_202242063.jpg
    1,017.2 KB · Views: 42