Disk Jockey v3 for macOS is out!

OneGeekArmy

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Belgium
diskjockey.onegeekarmy.eu
Right on time for #Marchintosh, here's the new version of Disk Jockey!

dj-simple-lg.png

It can now create disk images for more old computers! Apple II! Atari ST! Amiga! Even Akai samplers! And completely empty images full of zeroes!

And Disk-O-Matic, its disk analyzer, is now smarter too and opens disk images in a bunch of different formats.

Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 16.48.14.png

And of course, tons of bug fixes and new features (export files and folders out of your images! create images as big as 256 GB! and tons more).

And it still supports macOS 10.13 and up. What a champ.

Grab it here:
https://diskjockey.onegeekarmy.eu/

Oct 15, 2021
Right on time for #Marchintosh, here's the new version of Disk Jockey!

View attachment 15671

It can now create disk images for more old computers! Apple II! Atari ST! Amiga! Even Akai samplers! And completely empty images full of zeroes!

And Disk-O-Matic, its disk analyzer, is now smarter too and opens disk images in a bunch of different formats.

View attachment 15672

And of course, tons of bug fixes and new features (export files and folders out of your images! create images as big as 256 GB! and tons more).

And it still supports macOS 10.13 and up. What a champ.

Grab it here:
https://diskjockey.onegeekarmy.eu/

Thank you!

• Love
Reactions: OneGeekArmy

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
I just tested this out - and now with the HFS export feature I can do some really cool things:
  1. On a Modern Mac (in this case a M3 Macbook pro with 14.4) - open a HDA in Disk-O-Matic
  2. Export a file in Disk-O-Matic to my Macbook (resource forks preserved!)
  3. Copy said file to my netatalk 2 server (resource forks preserved!)
  4. And finally copy that over to my System 6/7 machine - never loosing the fork!
Keep those improvements coming! A great pairing for BlueSCSI.

reallyrandy

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
New Jersey
This is great, thank you!
I do have a comment and a question;
1. On the driver sidebar it says about replacing the diver "click the button below" but the button is on top.
2. When I click the button, Disk Jockey quits with the attached error. Am I doing something wrong here?
ScreenShot 2024-03-22 at 3.03.17 PM - New.png

Attachments

• DiskJockeyError.txt
    48 KB · Views: 19

OneGeekArmy

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Belgium
This is great, thank you!
I do have a comment and a question;
1. On the driver sidebar it says about replacing the diver "click the button below" but the button is on top.
2. When I click the button, Disk Jockey quits with the attached error. Am I doing something wrong here?
View attachment 15679

Thanks for the feedback! Regarding the incorrect message, the buttons have moved around since the previous version but the text was not updated. It will be :)

More puzzling is your crash when trying to convert the driver. You're not doing anything wrong at all, it seems the background thread creating the converted image is crashing for some reason.

Would it be at all possible to have a look at your disk image? I see it's 2 GB but would it be feasible to compress it and send it my way somehow? That'd allow me to pinpoint exactly where the bug arises.

reallyrandy

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
New Jersey
Thanks for the feedback! Regarding the incorrect message, the buttons have moved around since the previous version but the text was not updated. It will be :)

More puzzling is your crash when trying to convert the driver. You're not doing anything wrong at all, it seems the background thread creating the converted image is crashing for some reason.

Would it be at all possible to have a look at your disk image? I see it's 2 GB but would it be feasible to compress it and send it my way somehow? That'd allow me to pinpoint exactly where the bug arises.
DM sent with gDrive link to the hda image

OneGeekArmy

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Belgium
I just tested this out - and now with the HFS export feature I can do some really cool things:
  1. On a Modern Mac (in this case a M3 Macbook pro with 14.4) - open a HDA in Disk-O-Matic
  2. Export a file in Disk-O-Matic to my Macbook (resource forks preserved!)
  3. Copy said file to my netatalk 2 server (resource forks preserved!)
  4. And finally copy that over to my System 6/7 machine - never loosing the fork!
Keep those improvements coming! A great pairing for BlueSCSI.

I think you can save one step and have Disk Jockey copy the files directly to your Netatalk server by changing the destination folder in the Settings window (that is also a new feature).

• Wow
Reactions: JDW and eric

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
I can't sing the praises of @OneGeekArmy enough. This app is truly incredible. It's the gift that keeps on giving!

Folks, if you'd like to contribute to Jean-Michel and tell him in the most convincing way possible to "keep up the great work," please note he has a Ko-Fi donation page where you can share your love:

Full disclosure: I've made 2 contributions to date. They aren't massive donations and they don't need to be. I am telling you this so you know I don't encourage other people to donate in situations where I've not donated myself. Also, giving does more than just make you feel good, it helps out a vintage computing software developer. That's important because we don't have so many!

Thank you, Jean-Michel!

OneGeekArmy

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Belgium
I can't sing the praises of @OneGeekArmy enough. This app is truly incredible. It's the gift that keeps on giving!

Folks, if you'd like to contribute to Jean-Michel and tell him in the most convincing way possible to "keep up the great work," please note he has a Ko-Fi donation page where you can share your love:

Full disclosure: I've made 2 contributions to date. They aren't massive donations and they don't need to be. I am telling you this so you know I don't encourage other people to donate in situations where I've not donated myself. Also, giving does more than just make you feel good, it helps out a vintage computing software developer. That's important because we don't have so many!

Thank you, Jean-Michel!

Thank you so much for this, @JDW . And thank you for your generous donations. People like you are the reason I love this community and will keep on trying to contribute positively with my little software projects.

💕

• Love
Reactions: JDW

Anden Selmani

New Tinkerer
Sep 28, 2022
Albania
Hello my friend!

I am using your utilities for making images for the Scsi adapter of the Zulus and blues. It works very well! I suggest you include lip service to the African adapter in your programme to make it easier for the newbies to understand what it works with!

Unfortunately I do have one criticism!!!

1711373989178.png

This icon. It is completely incomprehensible at smaller sizes, and too busy when at larger sizes!
When I see it in my taskbar I am very confused!
A simpler icon would vastly improve user experiences!

bcl

New Tinkerer
Hello my friend!

I am using your utilities for making images for the Scsi adapter of the Zulus and blues. It works very well! I suggest you include lip service to the African adapter in your programme to make it easier for the newbies to understand what it works with!

Unfortunately I do have one criticism!!!

View attachment 15754

This icon. It is completely incomprehensible at smaller sizes, and too busy when at larger sizes!
When I see it in my taskbar I am very confused!
A simpler icon would vastly improve user experiences!
Based on my understanding of how this all happened...There is probably no African-related thought process behind the Zulu SCSI name. The creator shamelessly translated BlueSCSI to Azul SCSI. When that didn't go over very well, they took off the A and added a U to make it Zulu SCSI. Unless there's just been a new revision, the Zulu product is slow, lacks many features, and typically costs more than the current BlueSCSI V2 product. BlueSCSI has won the competition here, so I'd hate to think that many more "newbies" will have to suffer with that product. I got a few during the pandemic when parts were almost totally unavailable to get BlueSCSI, but they're essentially a write-off at this point — very little use for them now.

Anden Selmani

New Tinkerer
Sep 28, 2022
Albania
Unless there's just been a new revision, the Zulu product is slow, lacks many features, and typically costs more than the current BlueSCSI V2 product. BlueSCSI has won the competition here, so I'd hate to think that many more "newbies" will have to suffer with that product.
my friend, I do not understand your anger!

the bluescsi 2 is base on the zulu design! this is 100% fact! You can see on the github pages :)

I own and use both! there is no need to be upset!! they are both great products. the african scsi firmware will even run on a bluescsi2! they are that close.
its seeming to me unfair to confuse a newbie, especially when they are both brothers in scsi to sd :D

OneGeekArmy

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Belgium
I'm quite familiar with both BlueSCSI and ZuluSCSI, their inner workings and their lineage.
I'm also in touch with users of Disk Jockey (and BlueSCSI) and I can tell you that there is little to no confusion, even for newbies. It's more important to me to insist on the fact that the device images created by Disk Jockey work on both BlueSCSI (and derivatives, whatever they are) and PiSCSI, because they are very different and it's worth pointing it out..

I'll keep your comment about the icon in mind, though.

Finally, there's a page where you can log your issues and suggestions here: https://github.com/OneGeekArmy/Disk-Jockey-Community/issues

Last edited:

bcl

New Tinkerer
my friend, I do not understand your anger!

the bluescsi 2 is base on the zulu design! this is 100% fact! You can see on the github pages :)

I own and use both! there is no need to be upset!! they are both great products. the african scsi firmware will even run on a bluescsi2! they are that close.
its seeming to me unfair to confuse a newbie, especially when they are both brothers in scsi to sd :D
It wasn't anger at all. I have used both products, as well as various versions of the now-antique SCSI2SD. They all work for what they're intended to do. But I stand behind my understanding that the BlueSCSI V2 has significantly faster read/write speed than the latest Zulu, and tends to cost less. If I'm basing that on outdated information, please let me know what's changed. I always want to know about new developments in all of these products.