Doom 3 BFG Edition

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
The Mac community seems to get the bum end of the deal when it comes to AAA gaming - in some cases for good reason, Apple seems to make it as hard as possible to develop them on the platform by refusing to support industry standards, instead preferring to go it's own way.

However, thanks to some clever people out there, it's now possible to run Doom 3 BFG edition on modern macOS - specifically, the M1.

Note - you will need to legitimately own the BFG Edition in order to make this work, easy enough to buy it cheap on Steam.

id Software used to, before the days of their purchase by Zenimax media, release the source code of the engines all their games ran on, to make it possible to port to other platforms.

The RBDoom3 BFG GitHub was something I came across the other way whilst languishing on the sofa, looking for something interesting to try out on my 14" M1 Max MacBook Pro.

Here's the GitHub: https://github.com/RobertBeckebans/RBDOOM-3-BFG

Now, I followed the instructions and managed to get a stable executable built - for M1 Native ONLY and with OpenGL (as Vulkan isn't supported on macOS - grr).

After using SteamCMD to download the Windows version of Doom 3 BFG edition, i ran the executable from the folder and....voila. It just ran. native res, 60fps, everything turned up. The GPU in the M1 Max is an absolute BEAST.

Screenshot 2022-01-15 at 12.09.55 am.png

Screenshot 2022-01-15 at 12.11.41 am.png

To save everyone time, i've included the executable as an attachment, so you can skip the download of macports, xcode etc and just get straight into fragging some demons!

Attachments

• RBDoom3BFG.zip
    6.5 MB · Views: 78
Last edited: