Duke Nukem 3D: How to activate Demo Mode or Auto Play?

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
I've installed Duke Nukem 3D on my Color Classic Mystic:

I want to have it auto-play on a CC while I sit beside the machine and shoot a segment for my next video. Of course, I could do a "hack" whereby I sit down and play the game and film that, then mask out the CRT and overlay it atop a switched off CC sitting beside me (in FCPX), but auto-play would make my life easier and less fiddly. A demo mode would probably be more awesome than my pathetic game play anyway. Auto play means DEMO mode, in my terminology, by the way.

I can activate a Demo Mode in Doom II and Marathon just by launching the games and waiting a few seconds. But Duke won't do that. 😢

By the way, on Macintosh Garden I downloaded #1 (to get the no-CD patcher) and #3 (to install the full game ISO with music). (MacSD made this easy because it emulates CD-ROMs.)

Is there a code I can type to activate autoplay/demo?

Thanks!

Reactions: YMK

YMK

Active Tinkerer
Nov 8, 2021
I'll see what I can find on demos.

The ISO image I made of this disc weighs in at 441.7MB.

The #3 download should be all you need, since you can mount the disc.

The normal installation only uses 45MB and there's no speed penalty when using the MacSD as your CDROM.

The "Skip odd lines" option really speeds the game up.

Reactions: JDW

YMK

Active Tinkerer
Nov 8, 2021
In the "Duke Files" folder, you'll see "Demo 1", "Demo 2" and "Demo 3" files.

You can drag these onto the Duke 3D application (running or not) and they will play.

According to the Readme, there's no difference between these and demos recorded by the PC version.

Reactions: JDW