Dune II campaign done (Harkonnen playthrough) - attempt at video capture

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
1645893751805.png

Just got through this absolute classic. It's the granddaddy of RTSes. One the games of that genre started allowing group select with the mouse and mass orders, queued orders, it became very painful to go back to this by the time Starcraft (1998) rolled. After all that time, the nostalgia factor kicks in enough to suffer these limitations.

I'm attempting to capture direct vga->hdmi video of it to show the cheesy intro with voice overs, combined with Sound Canvas music...
Debut Capture continually flips the video feed vertical-wise, so I'm gonna try OBS. The default windows camera app doesn't have that problem, it's really strange.

Reactions: Vol and eric

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
I finally fixed my nonstop vertical flip, just select a lower capture resolution, not like I need a high one for 320x240 VGA footage:

(edit in May 2022: link fixed, I created a new channel just for DOS)

Last edited:

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
I never played Dune II, i was never really into the Dune universe until recently (thanks to Denis Villeneuve for that). What i'm grateful for though, is that Westwood went on to create Command & Conquer with that engine, iirc :)

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
I think the original Dune has more to offer nowadays than the antiquated Dune 2, which suffers from so many missing modern RTS trappings.