Error trying to install 2010 fix on eMate

wottle

Active Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
I finally got around to setting up my Newton devices to load software from my Powerbook G3. I was able to get the 110/120/130 loaded with the 2010 fix and get the date set properly. However, I was trying to get my eMate fixe up with Eckhart Köppen's 2010 fix. Unfortunately, it fails with the error that the package install failed, likely due to the system running out of memory.

Link to patch: Newton Year 2010 Problem

Anyone run into this and know if there's a step I'm missing?

splorp

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Calgary, Alberta
splorp.com
It could be a lack of temporary internal storage for the patch to be applied, but there are a couple of other thing to check.

Can you post exactly what the error is?

Also, what version of system is currently on the eMate? If any previous system patches have been applied, you’ll to remove them using the Patch Remover.

wottle

Active Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
The exact error was "An error had occurred during loading; probably out of memory. The System Update was not installed".

I'm running system version 2.2.01, I believe. ROM shows version 2.1 (737246)-1.

I ran the patch remover (I didn't think it would have a patch, since I got it from someone that said it hadn't been used in years (although "years" could mean someone was using it in 2011, so I suppose that was a bad assumption). The Patch Remover worked, and rebooted the eMate. After that, I tried installing the patch again, and it was successful. Not sure if it was the Patch Remover or if it was freeing up memory due to the reboot.

Thanks so much for your help, again!

Reactions: splorp

JustG

New Tinkerer
Dec 12, 2021
California
I'm happy to see a report of the patch working correctly. The warnings on the installation instruction page at 40hz that there is a potential to brick the eMate has made me leery of installing the patch on mine.

splorp

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Calgary, Alberta
splorp.com
As list dad of the NewtonTalk mailing list, I can’t recall anyone reporting that they bricked their eMate (or German MP2x00) when installing the Y2010 patch since it was released. FWIW, I have a hunch that the warning on that page is a leftover from when Eckhart was still in the process of testing the early versions of the patch.

Reactions: JustG

JustG

New Tinkerer
Dec 12, 2021
California
If anyone comes across my previous post some time in the future, don't sweat the patch! splorp is spot on, no issues with the 40hz.org patch on my eMate. Cheers!