Fanny Mac Clone (Community Feedback)

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
MacTaz
"Power cool your Mac!"

Thanks to a high-efficiency, powerful, and quiet fan, the powerful twirling Tasmanian Devil can suck the heat out of your Mac 128k, 512k, or Plus. Your Mac will be cool to last a long time for years of fun!

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Macorando
"Power cool your Mac!"

Featuring a high-efficiency, powerful, and quiet fan, the Macorando can suck the heat out of your Mac 128k, 512k, or Plus with a tornado. Your Mac will be cool to last a long time for years of fun!
For some reason that name somewhat reminds me of this hotel in California (no, not the Eagle's one):

Interestingly, there's a web page with a bunch of fan product brand names here:

Reactions: retr01

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
For some reason that name somewhat reminds me of this hotel in California (no, not the Eagle's one):

That is fantastic! :D(y) I LOVE the San Diego area! Every time I visited, it was lovely weather that did not get too hot or cold. I preferred the beaches of that area over the Los Angeles and San Francisco beaches.

Breeze del Mac
"Power cool your Mac!"
"Featuring a high-efficiency, powerful, and quiet fan, the breeze can suck the heat out of your Mac 128k, 512k, or Plus, making it as cool as the Coronado. Your Mac will be cool to last a long time for years of fun!"

For the perspective on why "cool as the Coronado":

1662182488741.png

Interestingly, there's a web page with a bunch of fan product brand names here:

That is awesome! Some of the names there would be funny, too. :)

Reactions: JDW

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
That is fantastic! :D(y) I LOVE the San Diego area! Every time I visited, it was lovely weather that did not get too hot or cold. I preferred the beaches of that area over the Los Angeles and San Francisco beaches.

Breeze del Mac
"Power cool your Mac!"
"Featuring a high-efficiency, powerful, and quiet fan, the breeze can suck the heat out of your Mac 128k, 512k, or Plus, making it as cool as the Coronado. Your Mac will be cool to last a long time for years of fun!"

For the perspective on why "cool as the Coronado":

View attachment 8481

That is awesome! Some of the names there would be funny, too. :)
As much as I really like that name, I'm not sure if folks unfamiliar with the plethora of Spanish in California would be as warm to it. But MacBreeze or BreezyMac (quite similar to FannyMac without the fanny issues) might work.

I think it's not time for @Stephen to chime in with his thoughts. I won't say anything further until he does.

bakkus

Staff member
Mar 18, 2022
Umm, not really. Plenty of places use 220-240V.. like here in Australia.

That being said the original was never sold here (to my knowledge), I think partly because the name has different connotations in local parlance... I shall say no more on that topic.
Seconding this.
The majority of countries use 220-ish (nominal values at any rate) with some disagreement over 50Hz vs 60Hz:
1662208720551.png

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Look like 230 V, 50 Hz is the first majority in approximately 90 countries, and 220 V, 50 Hz is the second majority in roughly 66 countries.

Stephen

BetterBit
Staff member
Founder
Sep 5, 2021
San Francisco
Haven't heard it mentioned yet...are we planning on keeping the original's ability to basically plug the mac into it and turn both the fan and computer on with a single, easily-accessible switch? Does using a 12VDC fan with an external power supply complicate that? I guess the power supply would need to sit between the switch and the fan? Or are we talking about a power supply small enough to fit inside the housing with the fan?
Adding the pass through power switch is trivial - it’s just a power cable cut in two with a switch in between.

Using a 12v fan adds the requirement for a small (e.g., 150mA) power supply. The module will block some of the air flow but I don’t believe it will have a significant decrease in cooling efficiency. The vent which the Fanny Mac is designed to draw from is very small to begin with.

I think 12v is the best option for fans with the requirement of the power module. This gives us the most options for quiet fans and speed control.

But MacBreeze or BreezyMac (quite similar to FannyMac without the fanny issues) might work.
MacBreeze and BreezyMac are both nice, particularly because they’re self explanatory. But I don’t need to be the judge. We can all decide on the name. :)

An adjustable speed knob would be neat. I also like the idea of keeping the original designs pass through but is not critical.
It would be possible, just adds more obstructions to the airflow and cost. I could add mounts internally for a specific speed control module. Care to look up 12v options?

Last edited:

Trash80toG4

Active Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Question: why not just snake a 12V line up through the handle cooling vents to dispense with cordage and switch complications entirely?

Tether the connector to the chassis and break off the latch of a standard wire-wire connector for tethered to the vents for pull-it-loose strain relief protection during bucket removal?

Stephen

BetterBit
Staff member
Founder
Sep 5, 2021
San Francisco
Question: why not just snake a 12V line up through the handle cooling vents to dispense with cordage and switch complications entirely?

Tether the connector to the chassis and break off the latch of a standard wire-wire connector for tethered to the vents for pull-it-loose strain relief protection during bucket removal?
Totally an option. A few considerations that come to mind:
  1. Some analog boards may be in need of repair and the fan could cause stress on an already strained system.
  2. I believe I’ve read in the past that fans can introduce interference to early power supplies but that is entirely anecdotal at this point.
  3. personally, I like the “plug and play” convenience and mod-free nature of the Fanny Mac.

Trash80toG4

Active Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Understood. I like to keep hacks and bodgery to available DC voltages downstream of UL approvals. Not afraid of mains wiring, I've done three phase . . . but KISS principle compliance is where it's at! ;)

mikeypie

New Tinkerer
Nov 5, 2021
I love the idea of a new Fanny Mac. However, for those who are willing to open their case, maybe a solution with an internal fan mounted at a top-of-case vent might work for the old compacts as it does for the Classics (assuming they have a strong analog board, per Stephen, above)?

Regardless, this video has a lot of information on fan choices. Hopefully that helps with choices for a new Fanny Mac, too?

For Stephens point about circuit noise, here's another maybe helpful link: https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/247077/how-to-filter-noise-from-fan

Reactions: retr01 and -SE40-

Stephen

BetterBit
Staff member
Founder
Sep 5, 2021
San Francisco
It's been a minute. How about I release the Solidworks CAD files and we see how far the community can run with it?

Attachments

• Apple Fanny Mac-20221128T212426Z-001.zip
    461.3 KB · Views: 65