Favorite Holiday Sweets?

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
Biscochitos are a uber traditional holiday staple in my wife's family on her mom's Spanish side. As her mother snagged Omicron in November and has been recovering from that, my wife made them this year and we'll take them up for Xmas. The recipe below is her family recipe and literally came over with them on the boat around 1600. The Spanish origin was called a Mantecado (I think) and has evolved over the centuries to include orange juice and brandy but at its core is a tender, thin, anise flavored, lard shortbread covered with cinnamon and sugar.
bisco dos.jpg

As it's a family recipe, I want to respect that and am hesitant to share it publicly but if you really want to make a traditional New Mexican style Biscochito and my wife is ok with sharing, I can PM it. Another cookie they make that is Italian from my wife's dad's Italian side is an Italian cream cookie.
Italian cream cookie dos.jpg

These are soft and pillow like with a hint of orange and milk and confectioners sugar glaze. These are my preference to the biscochitos (so good with a warm glass of milk or egg nog) but I am just not a big fan of licorice. My wife and her family love love love the biscochitos and will polish off 4-5 times the amount pictured with their morning coffee though. 🇨🇽🎄🤶🎅.

As my Dad's side of the family are effectively Welsh/English, my Dad would tell me about baked Holiday English puddings his Dad used to make. Anyone from Britain or the Isles that can turn me onto a good traditional English Christmas pudding that your family makes?

Last edited: