Finally found a IIci......still looking

T-Man

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
I have been looking for a Iici locally for several years and actually bought a "lot" of computers to get this one. Even when I heard something shaking around, it still never occurred to me.

First Look.jpg
SecondLook.jpg

kernspaltung

New Tinkerer
Nov 13, 2022
Seattle
Ugh, the dreaded Maxell bomb went off. My sympathies. Don't throw out the motherboard just yet, as some of the ICs and certainly the DRAM are salvageable.

P.S. I have seven working (to varying degrees) IIci Macs if you're in the PNW.

T-Man

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
No; east TN; I maybe interested in one if you can just ship the board. I have areas of the battery bombed one soaking in WD40; wishful thinking multiple traces seem to be gone.

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
IMG_1200.png

I opened up a IIci's that i got recently. and found the same thing. it doesn't look as bad as your's tho.
this is the first time I found Maxwell bomb

kernspaltung

New Tinkerer
Nov 13, 2022
Seattle
A call for someone to make a IIci reloaded please! I've got a battery bombed board as well, and it's too common of a problem for what are otherwise some of the best, if not the best 030 machines Apple ever made.
Reproducing the bare PCB wouldn't be a monumental technical challenge, but unlike the early Compact Macs there are a lot of ASICs on the IIci that are entirely unobtainable without donor boards.

And I agree 100% that the IIci is among the best Macs ever.

max1zzz

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
A call for someone to make a IIci reloaded please! I've got a battery bombed board as well, and it's too common of a problem for what are otherwise some of the best, if not the best 030 machines Apple ever made.
The IIci is already on the reloaded radar, i'll get to it eventually if someone else doesn't beat me to it. Just need to finish off the TechStep clone, Mac 286 clone, some accelerator related shenanigans and maybe the LC475 first :)

Astal

New Tinkerer
Jul 16, 2022
An Alternate Timeline
The IIci is already on the reloaded radar, i'll get to it eventually if someone else doesn't beat me to it. Just need to finish off the TechStep clone, Mac 286 clone, some accelerator related shenanigans and maybe the LC475 first :)
I figured it was down the road :) Take your time, I don't have the RE skills otherwise I'd help.

• Love
Reactions: jajan547

dukane

New Tinkerer
May 6, 2022
+3 for a IIci reloaded board! I’ve got 4 IIcis I picked up in a big lot with some IIfxs and 3 have the usual bombed out bottom right corner that I’d love to get running someday. I know it’s a huge task and I’m so grateful for all the great reproduction boards people have been working on for these awesome old machines!