Flux residue cleaner recommendations?

This Does Not Compute

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
www.youtube.com
I've been finding that ever since I switched to Inventec Amtech flux, isopropyl alcohol just doesn't cut it when trying to remove the residue. I can scrub (and even soak) a board and it'll still be sticky afterwards. Does anyone have a recommendation for a cleaner that will work better? I know there's PCB setergents designed for ultrasonic cleaners, but I'm not sure if they're suitable for spot cleaning (e.g. in a small spray bottle, used with an old toothbrush).

Daniel Hansen

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
I don't use Amtech myself so I can't speak from experience with this, but have you tried something like MG Chemicals' Flux Remover?

YMK

Active Tinkerer
Nov 8, 2021
Acetone removes Amtech and RMA fluxes.

If I intend to wash the board after rework, I'll use water soluble flux that comes off easily in the ultrasonic.

The downside is, you can't leave it on a board or it will begin to corrode things.

Fizzbinn

Tinkerer
Nov 29, 2021
Charlottesville, VA
I use Amtech flux and agree with your comments on cleaning with isopropyl alcohol. MG Chemicals' Flux Remover is better (what I am using now with toothbrush, followed by cotton buds) but it's not perfect.

Garrett

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
MN, USA
I have used the MG flux remover in my ultrasonic cleaner, and the results were...underwhelming. Maybe my concentration was too low, but I'd save your $ and go a different route.

Fizzbinn

Tinkerer
Nov 29, 2021
Charlottesville, VA
I have used the MG flux remover in my ultrasonic cleaner, and the results were...underwhelming. Maybe my concentration was too low, but I'd save your $ and go a different route.

I wasn’t aware it’s a contender for use in ultrasonic cleaners. I use it straight from the bottle, either via a spray bottle or pored into a shot glass that I dip cotton buds (aka q-tips) in. Definitely devolves flux better than isopropyl alcohol in that use case.

Garrett

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
MN, USA
Looks like I misremembered what I bought - here is the TDS for what I have:

Screenshot 2023-09-20 091219.png

Reactions: Daniel Hansen

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
While reviewing the datasheet of a coupled-inductor for one of my switch-mode power supply designs today, I noted the following warning...

1695789312835.png

Of course, I have known about these warnings on other ferrite core components, but it only dawned on me today that many people in the vintage Mac community use Ultrasonic cleaners without thinking too much about what it is they are cleaning. I doubt any of you check data sheets on components before cleaning your vintage boards.

I myself have never used an ultrasonic cleaner. I therefore am curious if any of you like @Branchus have ever damaged components accidentally in your own ultrasonic cleaning experience?

(I am not chastising anyone, nor am I suggesting people not use ultrasonic cleaners. I am just curious about the experiences of you who do use them.)

YMK

Active Tinkerer
Nov 8, 2021
I myself have never used an ultrasonic cleaner. I therefore am curious if any of you like @Branchus have ever damaged components accidentally in your own ultrasonic cleaning experience?

Yes, I've broken the leads off SMD caps by cleaning for too long.

I'll clean logic boards in the ultrasonic, but not PSUs or analog boards, due to the pots and inductors.

Reactions: Patrick and JDW