For the love of old tech + rant on all things modern

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
My parents are an interesting boomer specimen as my mom does not trust and will not use digital banking or investing services in any capacity. I mean with the slew of known information breaches, (over 2000 in 2023 with 235mil affected) how can you blame her. I think running a traditional book of business especially for older people creates a sense of control and comfort in both understanding and security. Obviously the caveat there is that while she interfaces with a real person, the institution she does business with almost certainly have internet connected infrastructure. At some point her personal information is digitized an vulnerable to attacks. My mom is not dumb understanding this well, so I think for her, it is about minimizing risk of control points that she has control over.

My Dad is the flipside of this. Since the 50s hes been into transistor radios, is a HAM radio operator, really enjoys gear and computers are a natural extension of his lifelong technology interest. Where my mom does not use a computer for anything more than email, a cell phone for nothing more than talking and texting, my dad has embraced technology much more and at a consistent rate as I recall our first personal computer was a C64 in 1985 IIRC (around there anyhow) which lives with me now. Apple computers have helped him to age more gracefully with his technology (hes 81!) as he can leverage the genius bar or his Apple care services which is which in my mind is a big part of older folks - they leverage technical support and warranty services more. With this there is a risk of elder abuse however as some older folks like my Dad stretch to try and stay with technology and that leaves them open to fraud which to my moms point happened to him end of last year where he thought he was talking to Apple when it was some 3rd party service and he gave his debit card info to them. He snapped, canceled his card and reported the incident but Elder abuse is a real concern which is extra real for folks in retirement who's life savings or large portions of it are potentially at risk with exposure to the internet and the assumptive expectation that they should move with younger generations.

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
I used to be helpdesk support ~decade ago. it has been my experience that computer illiteracy can span across all generations.

I will say there was a meme in the 90's, that if you needed computer support. you asked your kids. I think there is some truth to that.
I'm not sure thats really a thing anymore today.

but yeah, i don't think you can really generalize this to a generation thing.

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
I used to be helpdesk support ~decade ago. it has been my experience that computer illiteracy can span across all generations.

I will say there was a meme in the 90's, that if you needed computer support. you asked your kids. I think there is some truth to that.
I'm not sure thats really a thing anymore today.

but yeah, i don't think you can really generalize this to a generation thing.

I do help my Mom and Dad (74 & 81) alot with their technology but I know my folks feel guilty about asking me to help with a busy family wife job kiddos etc, so my Dad tries to use customer services as much as possible to help navigate topics he needs help with. Inevitably, as folks get older it gets harder and harder for them to navigate & learn an ever evolving technology landscape, so the expectation that they should just move at the same speed as younger folks in learning and adopting technology makes no sense to me - absolutely unrealistic. It certainly does not serve them anyhow.

If we were to apply this to a generational framework, I think we all will get there eventually. At a point, we will be slower and we will be confronted with the same challenges as our parents as assuredly, technology will be very different in 40 years when we are elderly, bent-over and wrinkly vs today. Regardless, there are many reasons older people choose not to participate with current technology goods and services I think which absolutely are valid and make sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick