Found my Oscilloscope?

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
I’m looking at this model.

Four channels, I like the form factor. The only thing I’m uncertain on is if the frequency, sample rate and record depth are in the right range for what I want to do. I also like that this one can read voltage and current as the ones I’ve seen mostly only read voltage.

The devices I work on range from 8 - 64 bits. Vintage computers (mostly Macs), gaming consoles, consumer electronics refurbs and repairs.

Do you all it fits the bill?

Thanks!

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
It's a bulky and very heavy CRT scope from the 90's, so I can only assume you are pondering it because of the low prices on EBAY and because you either have an affinity for CRT scopes or experience with LeCroy? Even so, due to a close relationship between the two companies, many modern SIGLENT scopes are similar or identical to modern LeCroys.

The simple answer is, if you understand how to use a scope, then most scopes will generally provide you with good "analog" information when it comes to diagnosing vintage Macs. Since you mentioned "bits" though, I assume you are more digital focused. I can display squarewaves on my scope just fine (within bandwidth limits), and I prefer using my scope when I want to look for noise on those waveforms. But of course, a dedicated logic analyzer (or a modern scope with such features built-in) is what you need for analysis of multiple waveforms at the same time, which may often exceed 4 in number. Meaning, a 4-channel scope will give you 4 and only 4 channels, if it doesn't have a dedicated logic analyzer cable.

With that said, I purchased a Rigol DHO804 within the past few months and found it to be outstanding. No logic analyzer because I already have one of those, and the scope offers 4 channels. Very compact, light, low cost, and has a nice hi-rez color LCD too. Plus the scope is 12-bit, which is pretty incredible. It can be hacked to 100MHz BW and full memory, and you can cheaply add WIFI. I did all those hacks/mods. They work great. Even if you don't add a $10 WIFI USB dongle, you can still save screenshots to onboard memory and write them out to a USB thumbdrive too.

Now while you may get feedback from myself and a few others here on TinkerDifferet, you really need to check out the EEVBlog forums before making your final decision because a lot of what has been said has already been said there. And those guys live and breath scopes over there, so if any of your questions are not answered here, don't be afraid to register and post something over there.

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
For most consumer stuff - I agree, that scope is overkill. And a weighty beast. If you're getting it for $50, sure, go for it, but if it's in the $200 range, get yourself a much more modern Rigol scope which ditches the CRT, as @JDW suggests.

Reactions: JDW

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Or a Saleae logic analyzer, which also has analog inputs.
Mine is a Saleae clone from AliExpress, which of course looks nothing like the original, but its priced within my means to buy it. :) 16-channel, which is nice. I think I paid $50 for it a few years ago.

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
Got me a Yokogawa DL1540. Great shape with case, probes and all documentation included!

Orange CRT 😻😻😻
Made in Japan 😻😻😻
Similar form factor to the classic all-in-one Macs 😻😻😻

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
...You bought that because it looks like a classic mac, right?

DL1540L.jpeg

Reactions: JDW