found this little guy...

KennyPowers

Active Tinkerer
Jun 27, 2022
...in a bunch of retro stuff I recently came into. I haven't tried it yet, and I never used one of these back in the day, but it sure is...cute.

PXL_20220130_172806210.jpg

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Killer find! Interesting to see that the programming modules include the expanded memory required to run them? Gotta love the late Sir Clive, hadn't looked into his life or known of his multidisciplinary achievements before this, though I'd ordered his Z88 notepad computer from England almost the day I'd first read of it. Apparently some of his activities were of the inspirations for Elon Musk.

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Oh, they're cassettes? I thought they were modules that contained the Memory necessary to run them? That way they'd be useful in general as memory expansion. That'd drive package price up, but the Stat package especially would be portable sans cassette player. Just one expansion slot in the 1000?

I need to pull out my Z88 again sometime. I'd already purchased my PowerBook 100 before getting the Mac setup. There was a Mac connectivity version later on in its lifespan, not sure about time of release, ISTR it was after the PowerBooks were released.

The Sinclair 1000 was way ahead of its time, but the Commodore/Radio Shack juggernaut in the American consumer market was too much for even TI and Canon to resist for long.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
RAM module is separate unless the package was bundled with the 16 KB module. The advertisement I posted above earlier clearly explains that. :)

KennyPowers

Active Tinkerer
Jun 27, 2022
Now just need to see the printer in action.

I'm too busy wrenching on this IIci so I know if I need that accelerator you want ;)

Seriously though, I'll probably hang on to that printer since it's teeny and "completes the set". I doubt I'll hang on to any of these imagewriters or stylewriters. They take up too much space and I just don't have any interest in "retro printing".

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Print Shop was a popular quick graphical printing program for Broderbund's banners, greeting cards, and flyers in the 1980 and 1990s. Very retro-like on the Apple II series and the 68k Macs. I have Print Shop IIGS and Print Shop Ensemble for the 68k Mac.

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Thunderscan rocked! Dunno about IWII, but on the Wide Carriage ImageWriter(1) it was awesome. I hunted down that beast before my backordered SE/20/Radius16 based sign system arrived with its inferior Security Camera/Video Digitizer setup.

Had to buy the Fat Mac bundled with the PrintMONSTER, so that was technically my first Mac by a few months. 512K was great fun, the rug rat started his computer graphics journey on that machine. That I could use the 15" Gerber Plotter Paper rolls or legal size fanfold as an image carrier for Thunderscan was heaven. :)

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
Think yourselves lucky that you got the ZX81 and not the ZX80 - the ZX81 is at least a bit more capable - watch out for the RAM pack installation - you'll ideally need some of this to make it connect well enough to not just fall out the back: https://www.amazon.com/Blu-Tack-S050Q-Reusable-Adhesive-75g/dp/B001FGLX72 - this was a semi-official fix for the problem, after all 😂