FTP Question

KHEMISANTOS

New Tinkerer
Oct 12, 2022
Installed transit on MacOS 9. I think I have the settings correct. Is the directory just / if so when I connect I don’t see anything.

Can MacOS 9.2.2 use FTP on Macintosh Garden?
Any help or suggestions really appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4246.jpeg
    IMG_4246.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 58

fogWraith

Antiques Dealer
Sep 2, 2021
Installed transit on MacOS 9. I think I have the settings correct. Is the directory just / if so when I connect I don’t see anything.

Can MacOS 9.2.2 use FTP on Macintosh Garden?
Any help or suggestions really appreciated.
Are you using Transmit 1.6 or 1.7? Passive or Active connection?
The directory listings will take a substantial amount of time due to everything being placed directly inside the folders (Apps, Games, Manuals)

KHEMISANTOS

New Tinkerer
Oct 12, 2022
1.7 I’ll check if it’s active or passive later today I don’t remember. I was trying FTP because if I try to download via internet explorer or classica the download times out. I was able to get fetch to work I just don’t have a license for that but do from using transit back in the day for work.

fogWraith

Antiques Dealer
Sep 2, 2021
I think Passive in 1.7 might work best in this case, I'll also run a test from home and see if there's anything amiss.. just in case.
Did you also try the different mirrors via the web browser? The US server seems to have some issues now and then (and is currently offline).

The FTP link should go to the same server you are trying to reach via Transmit, and the German (.de) mirror is stable as well.

KHEMISANTOS

New Tinkerer
Oct 12, 2022
I did. Classial will usually work best but randomly crashes (expected). IE 5 will only pull down about half a meg at most. I even went direct to router still same speed. I know it’s not MG for IE download speeds as any other website just as slow.
Appreciate it. Been a long time since I’ve messed with classic and FTP. Trying to get back into the hobby and loan up some of the classic games for the kiddo to try. She always sees the old macs and wants to give them a try. MacOS 9 and limited finder for the win.

ClassicHasClass

Tinkerer
Aug 30, 2022
www.floodgap.com
How much RAM do you have? ;)

Jokes aside, Classilla prefers to be on a system with at least 128MB of RAM and the default allocation is sized for that. If you have less, then leave it alone (but consider virtual memory or RAM Doubler if you'll use it a lot). If you have more, then you might consider giving it whatever additional amount of memory you feel comfortable with. While some of its memory usage is Mac temporary memory, mostly for images, document text such as an FTP directory display largely comes from what you allocate it.

fogWraith

Antiques Dealer
Sep 2, 2021
I suspect that each subfolder of the root will parse into the megabytes range, which is a tad too much regardless of vintage or modern equipment.
The re-structuring (yes there's such a project ongoing) of the archive layout takes a bit of time, mostly due to all the old stuff already inside the archive, as well as new stuff flooding in at intervals... and time (busy busy)