G4 Power Supply Swap-Adapter Cable Has The Wrong Connector From ATX PS to Adapter Cable

2112st

Tinkerer
Oct 8, 2023
Northeastern New Jersey, USA
(sigh)

I guess, for the time being, I'll have to put the old power supply back until I can figure out what to do. It still works, although occasionally, the computer won't boot-then I have to unplug the power cable and plug it back in-then it will boot.

phunguss

Tinkerer
Dec 24, 2023
Stillwater, MN
It powered on, but no picture. 😞 Edit: I did hear the start-up bong.
If you got a bong, it should be good. What video card are you using, and what type of display? Are you using the DVI port or the ADC port? If using an ADC monitor, I don't think it will not work, as you don't have any 28v power from the PSU.

2112st

Tinkerer
Oct 8, 2023
If you got a bong, it should be good. What video card are you using, and what type of display? Are you using the DVI port or the ADC port? If using an ADC monitor, I don't think it will not work, as you don't have any 28v power from the PSU.
Here are the photos. The adapter is DVI to VGA, and then the VGA cable goes to the back of my 32-inch Panasonic Viera TV. Also, another problem-I was able to connect the mechanical HD & SSD to the two power connectors, but there's nothing left to connect to the CD-ROM drive.

It's been a long day-I've spent longer on this project than I expected. I'm still going to put back the old PS for the time being, and then figure out how to deal with these problems later.

Thank you all for your help! Any other suggestions are welcome. :)

Video connector.jpg video card.jpg

power connection 1.jpg power connection 2.jpg

2112st

Tinkerer
Oct 8, 2023
I reassembled the MDD Mac with the old power supply reinstalled. It's in working order again. I plan to hold onto the new power supply., since it seems to work. The question is: why didn't I get a picture? I also need to figure put a way to add power extensions to the CD-ROM drive, since I could only power the boot up mechanical HD (OSX 10.4) and SSD (OS9).

I guess this is my MarchIntosh project, eh? 🙃
New PS & Adapter.jpg

Reactions: phunguss