G5 Radeon 9600 in an MDD

Windsor

New Tinkerer
May 24, 2024
I am still trying to get a graphics card upgrade in my MDD. I picked up a Radeon 9600 dual-DVI from a G5 off eBay and this is what I'm getting. Bad VRAM, or something fixable? Are there known issues? I did forget about taping pins 3 & 11 when I first stuck it in. It's not an ADC card, but it is an 8x so it needed done. That wouldn't have damaged the card would it?

20240726_211427.jpg

Windsor

New Tinkerer
May 24, 2024
that probably damaged the card
I've also read that some G5 cards draw more power than the MDD can supply through the AGP slot, whereas PC cards have an external power connector. I might try to get a PC card to flash. But honestly, the only thing I really want a better card for is Core Image acceleration and playing Halo on Mac. I bought Halo when it came out, but I've never actually had a machine that could play it properly. The closest I had was an 733 or 800MHz Quicksilver back in the day. I thought the Radeon 9000 in the MDD would do better, but many of the graphics options are unavailable. Is it worth risking $100+ on a 20 year old graphics card on eBay for that? Probably not.