retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
2,474
1
812
113
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Hello everyone! :)👋

I noticed on the Apple IIGS logic board (ROM 0, 1, and 3) that there is a white socket labeled "Game" at J21 (ROM 1, it may be a different location for ROM 0 and 3 boards).

I understand that it is there to plug in paddles like in the earlier days of the Apple II and II Plus. I realize it can be used for other things, such as hooking up a robot or a microcontroller to control lamps, relays, motors, and other stuff.

I want to gather stories from anyone who used that awesome white game socket in the IIGS or knows about such stories. Or, if you know what it could be done to take advantage of that neat white game socket in the IIGS?

Please jump in!
 

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
2,474
1
812
113
Utah, USA
retr01.com
So, it is KansasFest this week and #apple2july month! I am still intrigued with the Game port. I will gather as much information as possible about this, starting with pictures showing the Game port in the Apple IIGS.

1658360626615.jpeg
1658360696696.jpeg
 

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
2,474
1
812
113
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Then, there is information on the Game port from the old comp.sys.apple2 Usenet newsgroup back in 1998 (some spelling and grammar corrections were applied today):

Apple 16-pin DIP Game Port socket (on the motherboard)​
for II, II+, IIe, IIgs​
=========​
Pushbutton 3 (GS only) 9 | * * | 8 Ground​
Gm Ctrl 1 (Stick-1 Y) 10 | * * | 7 Gm Ctrl 2 (Stick-2 X)​
Gm Ctrl 3 (Stick-2 Y) 11 | * * | 6 Gm Ctrl 0 (Stick-1 X)​
Annunciator 3 12 | * * | 5 /$C040 Strobe​
Annunciator 2 13 | * * | 4 Pushbutton 2​
Annunciator 1 14 | * * | 3 Pushbutton 1​
Annunciator 0 15 | * * | 2 Pushbutton 0​
No Connection 16 | * * | 1 +5V​
===| |===​
^​
Notch on socket​
(faces toward the front of the computer)​
​
Game Port Information (with BASIC Peek/Poke locations) obtained​
from pages 430-433 of the Apple // User's Guide, Second Edition​
by Lon Poole:​
​
-16296 Annunciator 0 Off​
Turns off game control output (annunciator) number 0. The voltage​
on pin 15 of the game control is set to approximately​
0 volts (TTL low).​
​
-16295 Annunciator 0 On​
Turns on game control output (annunciator) number 0. The voltage​
on pin 15 of the game control is set to approximately​
+5 volts (TTL high).​
​
The following annunciator soft switches follow the same rules as​
annunciator 0 for their respective pin assignments:​
​
-16294 Annunciator 1 Off​
-16293 Annunciator 1 On​
-16292 Annunciator 2 Off​
-16291 Annunciator 2 On​
-16290 Annunciator 3 Off​
-16289 Annunciator 3 On​
​
-16287 Read Pushbutton 0​
When the pushbutton on game control number 0 or the open-apple key​
is pressed, the value in this location exceeds 127. When not pressed,​
the value is 127 or less.​
​
The following pushbutton soft switches follow the same rules as​
pushbutton 0 for their respective pin assignments:​
​
-16286 Read Pushbutton 1​
-16285 Read Pushbutton 2​
​
-16320 Stobe Output​
Usually, pin 5 of the game control connector is +5 volts. If you​
PEEK memory location -16320. It drops to 0 volts for one-half​
microsecond. POKE will trigger the strobe twice.​
​
The following is a direct excerpt from page 167 of the Apple //e​
Reference Manual:​
​
"The hand-control inputs are connected to the timing inputs of an​
NE558 quadruple 555-type analog timer. Addressing $C07x sends a​
signal from the 74LS154 that resets all four timers and causes​
their outputs to go one (high). A variable resistance of up to​
150K ohms connected between one of these inputs and the +5V​
supply controls the charging time of one of four 0.022-microfarad​
capacitors. When the voltage on the capacitor passes a certain​
threshold, the output of the NE558 changes back to zero (low).​
​
Programs can determine the setting of a variable resistor by​
resetting the timers and then counting time until the selected​
timer input changes from high to low. The resulting count is​
proportional to the resistance."​
​
The above excerpt is a long description of the​
BASIC PDL() function.​
 

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
2,474
1
812
113
Utah, USA
retr01.com
The Game port can interface with home automation, a home security system, and many real-world devices. In 1994, Erik explained that the Apple II was an ideal platform for interfacing:

In case you are having difficulties in thinking of a reason, consider the ​
following: ​
o Monitor the pH level in a swimming pool ​
o Build a home control system ​
o Build a home security system ​
o Construct an automated weather station to measure the temperature,​
wind speed, and barometric pressure ​
o Learn the fundamentals of personal robotics (controlling stepper​
motors and sensors)​
​
This has been posted as a resource here at TD. You can download the PDF file from there:

Apple II Interfacing: How to Control Real-World Devices via the Game Port 1994​

 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: flag4

skate323k137

Tinkerer
Mar 7, 2022
130
103
43
Test PCBs going in production. Only one problem currently, I don't have a General MIDI device!
I would sell you a Yamaha MU-50 for a fair price if you are on a budget and it would help. I have a plethora of MIDI equipment, as well as a II+, IIe platinum, and IIgs, so let me know if I can help.
 
  • Love
Reactions: retr01

skate323k137

Tinkerer
Mar 7, 2022
130
103
43
Ha. That's alright. The only real benefit (for me) of ROM 3 is improved slot management. 🤓 👏
Heh, my edit basically said the same.

I have no equipment yet to use with the paddle slot on my II+, but that's OK, I have to finish fixing the RAM card 1st (microsoft language card has a bad 4116 RAM and a bad 74LC* chip, easy fix hopefully).
 
  • Like
Reactions: retr01

Astal

New Tinkerer
Jul 16, 2022
57
21
8
An Alternate Timeline
I would sell you a Yamaha MU-50 for a fair price if you are on a budget and it would help. I have a plethora of MIDI equipment, as well as a II+, IIe platinum, and IIgs, so let me know if I can help.
I might be interested, I have some money going out right now, I have a IIgs and IIc, I sold my IIe, kinda regret it.
 

skate323k137

Tinkerer
Mar 7, 2022
130
103
43
No worries, the offer is on the table if it would help your development. It's not going anywhere at the moment.

Some of these general MIDI modules have serial ports in addition to the MIDI ports. On a classic mac you can hook the modem or printer port right to a module like the SC-88 with an imagewriter II printer cable (crossover mini din).
 
  • Like
Reactions: retr01