Getting a Macintosh SE Online

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
Thats the understanding I have. but you could setup ftp to do file transfers that way. (or HTTP ....)
again, assuming you can get slip working. but i don't see why you couldn't.

So I wouldn't have access to, for example, AFP file sharing?
So if you WANTED to do AFP file sharing. i would setup phone net. I think they are still pretty easy / cheap to find.

Last edited:

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
I think @jcs has setup his Mac plus to do ppp with a raspberry pi. and is doing imap-y things that way.
by "imap-y" i mean writing an IMAP client.

which you can follow here

rdmark

Staff member
Oct 3, 2021
Ah, so this will *only* work for IP? So I wouldn't have access to, for example, AFP file sharing?
AFP works over TCP/IP as well, with the right versions of the network stack and AppleShare client. I've gotten it to work with 7.1 and later. However, your SE's 68000 CPU may be a limiting factor here, since Open Transport, for one, requires a later instruction set (030 I think).

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
I thought of that. but decided not to try to explain it as its getting in the weeds. besides i didn't THINK the SE could do it. as you indicated. my memory is fuzzy, but i remember it not being stable. but i might be conflating the problems with AFP over IP with early versions of mac os x.

it would be an interesting project to try out and document. the idea of doing AFP, over a wifi serial thingie, over slip... thats some hacky shit. but could be very cool.

Anyways, i was trying to tailer my reply based on my perceived audience. getting ftp working for file transfer would be pretty straight forward. (i think??)

Maybe i should get one of these things. sounds fun to play with. I've mostly stuck with phone net however....

rdmark

Staff member
Oct 3, 2021
Agreed, TCP/IP might to too much to ask of a 68000 Mac. To go back to the original topic, I would second the suggestion of using a RaSCSI. Once Raspberry Pi prices have come down to reasonable levels, it is the most versatile and cost effective way to get a compact Mac online, IMHO. My own SE is online thanks to a RaSCSI + Pi Zero W setup. BBSing or surfing the web through a proxy is fast (in relative terms) and stable.

Reactions: Patrick

rjkucia

Tinkerer
Dec 21, 2021
Madison, Wisconsin, USA
I appreciate the information, I didn't realize this approach would end up so hacky lol. Is the "correct" way to get ethernet on an SE to either get a PDS card or use a SCSI adapter (including RaSCSI emulating one)?

pfuentes69

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Switzerland
I appreciate the information, I didn't realize this approach would end up so hacky lol. Is the "correct" way to get ethernet on an SE to either get a PDS card or use a SCSI adapter (including RaSCSI emulating one)?
On my particular side, I have the RASCSI mounted internally in the expansion card bracket and exposing the Ethernet port , and I love that setup.

Reactions: rjkucia

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
its all the fun of the hobby. We are all just messing around with it anyways. think of it as a fun experiment. I guess if you DID go the RaSCSI route you might still be waiting on a Raspberry PI ?

I think you should still play around with the serial thing and see if you can get slip working. Even if you can't get AFP working ftp would still be useful. or at the very least. file transfer via BBS and xmodem.

Too bad the chip shortage is such a big deal. I'm waiting a few months to get a DE-10. and it never occurred to me that Raspberry Pi's would be so hard to get.

rikerjoe

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
its all the fun of the hobby. We are all just messing around with it anyways. think of it as a fun experiment. I guess if you DID go the RaSCSI route you might still be waiting on a Raspberry PI ?

I think you should still play around with the serial thing and see if you can get slip working. Even if you can't get AFP working ftp would still be useful. or at the very least. file transfer via BBS and xmodem.

Too bad the chip shortage is such a big deal. I'm waiting a few months to get a DE-10. and it never occurred to me that Raspberry Pi's would be so hard to get.
Ha, yes. I‘ve had a RaSCSI kit for over a month now, waiting for a Raspberry Pi for it at a more reasonable price than what I see currently.