Good first Apple II?

rjkucia

Tinkerer
Dec 21, 2021
Madison, Wisconsin, USA
The OldNet WiFi modem should work with the Apple IIc's serial port with the correct cabling.
Bummer that I just sold mine when I got ethernet for my SE/30 then, lol

Interestingly, the IIc+ has the same 8-pin Mini-DIN serial connectors as found on the IIgs and Macs.
Yeah that's what made me ask about AppleTalk in the first place! I guess that's just the classic "connector == purpose" fallacy, though.

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
so there was a "workstation" card that one could put in a slotted apple II. Which one could use to connect to a AppleTalk network. but they are pretty rare. and they go for higher prices then i'm willing to buy for on ebay :p

the IIe card, that you can put in like a Mac LC (or mac LC like computer) does have that workstation card built in. So you can have the IIe inside the mac use the macs apple talk. I even accidentally had my IIe card boot off a apple talk network i had setup from a VM on my modern iMac!. (through a localtalk <-> ethertalk bridge i had setup on a '040 mac)

.. oh yeah. that workstation card allowed apple II's to boot off of a apple talk file server. its pretty interesting.
old video but still relevant.

Reactions: rjkucia and retr01

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Looks like Apple Rescue of Denver has several in stock at $200, which seems more than fair. I haven't dealt with them before but I think I've heard good things about them - anyone able to vouch? And ROM 0 is the one I'd want, correct?

Yes. ROM 0 as they have ROM 0. Grab while you can. :)

I believe you can get a newly burned ROM anyway. You wouldn't be able to expand memory on the board unless you get the board that is ROM 3 or 4.

Original ROMs for the IIc:
  • ROM 255 – the original. A serial port timing fix was available for affected machines
  • ROM 0 – added Unidisk 3.5 support among other things and was a ROM chip swap plus a motherboard modification.
  • ROM 3 – added a memory expansion socket and a redesigned motherboard. This came with the new keyboard in 1986.
  • ROM 4 – a ROM update to fix the memory expansion bugs in the ROM 3 motherboard.

Reactions: flag4 and rjkucia

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
And @rjkucia, get the Apple 3.5" UniDisk external disk drive. One day, an IIc+ will fall in your lap. Until that day comes, this will provide you another way to transfer data using 3.5" disks from your SE/30. ;)

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
As for replacing the ROM 0 with a ROM 4, the Apple2Online Store has them for a reasonable price. I have bought things from them and they are great to work with! :)

1680649761190.png
<--- take note of this! Pouplar item! :D

rjkucia

Tinkerer
Dec 21, 2021
Madison, Wisconsin, USA
And @rjkucia, get the Apple 3.5" UniDisk external disk drive. One day, an IIc+ will fall in your lap. Until that day comes, this will provide you another way to transfer data using 3.5" disks from your SE/30. ;)
Oof, that's pretty expensive haha.

As for replacing the ROM 0 with a ROM 4, the Apple2Online Store has them for a reasonable price. I have bought things from them and they are great to work with! :)
Does going from 0 to 4 require a mod to the board? It sounds 255/0/3 were each revisions to the board, and 4 is just a bug fix to 3?

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Does going from 0 to 4 require a mod to the board? It sounds 255/0/3 were each revisions to the board, and 4 is just a bug fix to 3?

I wonder that too. I am sure the guy at the Apple2Online store will be more familiar with that. They have been in the Apple II community for a long time.

They know about IIc ROM versions as seen on Apple2Online IIc ROM 4 eBay listing. Interesting that they are saying that AppleTalk is available only with ROM 0, yet I read that Apple never finished that part.

1680654163221.png

Last edited:

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
typically i've always gone to ebay, craigslist, or shop goodwill because the prices were always way better.

But it looks like the prices at the more 'retail' stores like apple rescue doesn't seem so bad now.

rjkucia

Tinkerer
Dec 21, 2021
Madison, Wisconsin, USA
I finally did it - I got a IIc at VCFMW this weekend! I took it home and had the experience of figuring out how to use it - and figuring out which of my TVs like the composite signal and which ones don't. On the way are serial cables & floppies for ADT Pro, and a cheap composite-HDMI adapter that I'm hoping will be more consistent than the TV.

It appears to be an early model with a 255 ROM. I'm pretty sure it has an Alps keyboard - it feels very nice and clicky to type with, at least.

Any suggestions of cool things to check out in the world of Apple II?

Reactions: Daniel Hansen

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
congrats!

a few things....

getting one one of those serial to wifi adapters could be fun. They will let you dial into BBS's that are online.
so using modem software, you tell the adapter to connect to your wifi network and then you can telnet into a BBS. there are a few retro BBS's around...

a NEW game for Apple II is Nox Archaist if you like RPGS.

a collection of games has been created called Total Replay . .which has a very nice front end to a bunch of games. you will need something to be able to load the 32MB prodos disk. (Floppy emu or something) more deets at the archive.org link.

Reactions: rjkucia

rjkucia

Tinkerer
Dec 21, 2021
Madison, Wisconsin, USA
congrats!

a few things....

getting one one of those serial to wifi adapters could be fun. They will let you dial into BBS's that are online.
so using modem software, you tell the adapter to connect to your wifi network and then you can telnet into a BBS. there are a few retro BBS's around...

a NEW game for Apple II is Nox Archaist if you like RPGS.

a collection of games has been created called Total Replay . .which has a very nice front end to a bunch of games. you will need something to be able to load the 32MB prodos disk. (Floppy emu or something) more deets at the archive.org link.
Thanks for the suggestions! I should be able to use a RPi as a serial modem with the USB Serial adapter I'm getting.

It looks like Nox Archaist requires two floppy drives - is that correct? Or does it just mean I would have to swap disks?

Total Replay looks sweet, but unfortunately I don't have a floppy emu - 32MB is a bit too big for a real one :)

Edit: Side note, Google's AI is trying to help me research, but it's... not great at it
1694453741895.png

Daniel Hansen

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
I finally did it - I got a IIc at VCFMW this weekend! I took it home and had the experience of figuring out how to use it - and figuring out which of my TVs like the composite signal and which ones don't. On the way are serial cables & floppies for ADT Pro, and a cheap composite-HDMI adapter that I'm hoping will be more consistent than the TV.

It appears to be an early model with a 255 ROM. I'm pretty sure it has an Alps keyboard - it feels very nice and clicky to type with, at least.

Any suggestions of cool things to check out in the world of Apple II?
Very exciting - Apple II Forever!

Check out this thread for inexpensive modern storage options, including some Smartport / SD projects (check the other threads linked in this thread): https://tinkerdifferent.com/threads/most-affordable-floppy-alternative-for-apple.2910/

If you indeed have the 255 ROM, look up the 4X ROM - which will be very beneficial with Smartport-based storage (allows you to boot from Smartport... or choose other boot options).

Reactions: Patrick and rjkucia